Rider guitar

ronnieb

• Members

I have a japanese copy of the Gibson J200 acoustic guitar. It says Rider on the headstock and is a perfect copy in every way. I received this guitar over 30 years ago from a friend who owned a large guitar store in the L.A. area. It was made by the Hayashi Musical Instrument Co. Matsumoto Japan. Serial #06684 J 400 N. It plays like a dream and sounds as good as the Gibsons I have played on. I can't find any information about the guitar anywhere. I don't want to sell it but was wondering how rare it is and what it might be worth. I have reason to believe it was a prototype sent here to gauge interest and could not be sold due to lawsuits filed by Gibson. In fact, I did not pay for the guitar but received it as a trade. Can anybody help me with some info on this? I would really like to know more about my old friend of over 30 years of faithful service. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks for the reply DeepEnd , I hope Terry Allen Hall does reply to my thread. I will post some photos on wed. On a side note,the guitar is not a laminate but made to the exact specs of the Gibson J200.

• Members

Rider is part of the Deviser corp. and they make electrics as well, still in business and they continue to make Rider guitars I believe...haven`t seen a recent catalog, latest I got was a couple of years ago. They make/made guitars under several names...Bacchus, Momose, Brian, Jayro, Riverhead ...among others...and Headway acoustics. You could probably find a web site for Deviser and send them a mail, they may be able to help...I contacted them many times in the past about some Bacchus guitars I own and they used to reply in English.

I`m not Terry Allen Hall, but I hope this helps some.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Hello there!  I just found your post about your Rider guitar.  I have one also.  I found mine at a yard sale in Cottonwood, Arizona three years ago.  It is a model R-400D with a serial number 06626.  It had a problem where the neck met the body.  It looked like the tension of the strings were pulling the neck and had seperated the top of the guitar. Oddly enough, the action was still quite good so I bought it and took it to Dan Milkowski, a well known luthier here.  After removing the back from the guitar,  he was quite taken with the design having never seen anything like it's neck block construction. He was of the opinion that the bracing configuration was more like Martin's than Gibson's, but the neck block was unique.  I installed Fishman's latest pickup in it and Dan put the guitar back together.  I share your affection for this instument.  I am a working musician and songwriter.  I've owned some very nice guitars in my 40 years of playing, but none could equal the sound this old soldier delivers.  I've often wondered how many of these guitars are out there and you are the first I've heard of.  I expect your Rider sounds like mine.  We are lucky guys! 

• Members

Aw geez! These clowns are coming out of the woodwork.

Just another addition to the long list of phoney members who dredged up yet another long dead thread, pretending to be a guitar enthusiast.

Charlie Fillmo... --1 post

4x4_e30 -- 1 post

Ukeman_27016 -- 1 post

sfshipper -- 2 posts

mikey19504 -- 1 post

Alexia Snear -- 1 post

Gene Payne -- 1 post

texas_redman -- 1 post

johncastello--1 post

rtmuzyka--1 post

gsdrunk--3 posts

45311--2 posts

jazzy64--2 posts

Coastal--2 posts

gpie1288---2 posts

robert froyd--1 post

blueharp1--3 posts

el;vin lateagan--4 posts

Kiddarkness--1 post

biopticpaper--1 post

Guitarsaver--2 posts

kgraham7s--1 post

frnell--1 post

bnewell--2 posts

Quanto--1 post

hot_burrito_1--1 post

Robb Hughes--1 post

hbrector--1 post

Alexia Snear--1 post

Myriam NT--1 post

campfire-guitars-- 1 post

yagerhawk--1 post

swfinse--1 post

eanna--1 post

aieauka--2 posts

jonford--4 posts

• 5 years later...
  • Members
On 3/11/2011 at 10:50 PM, ronnieb said:

I have a japanese copy of the Gibson J200 acoustic guitar. It says Rider on the headstock and is a perfect copy in every way. I received this guitar over 30 years ago from a friend who owned a large guitar store in the L.A. area. It was made by the Hayashi Musical Instrument Co. Matsumoto Japan. Serial #06684 J 400 N. It plays like a dream and sounds as good as the Gibsons I have played on. I can't find any information about the guitar anywhere. I don't want to sell it but was wondering how rare it is and what it might be worth. I have reason to believe it was a prototype sent here to gauge interest and could not be sold due to lawsuits filed by Gibson. In fact, I did not pay for the guitar but received it as a trade. Can anybody help me with some info on this? I would really like to know more about my old friend of over 30 years of faithful service. Thanks.

http://vintagejapaneseacoustics.blogspot.com/2010/09/pearl-pf-770.html

Hi, I have a Rider guitar also which I purchased new from that period, signed. The above link may be interesting for you.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I too have a Rider J-400. Purchased in 1996 from a second hand store in Adelaide. Later, I had it in Guitar Works, Adelaide, run by my friends Brian and Craig Sampson, for a fret job. They were official repairers for Gibson, and an owner of a new $6,000 J200 had his poorly finished instrument in for a list of repairs, corrections, and finishing work done. About 1999.
He spotted my Rider on the repair rack, and thought it was another Gibson. He asked if he could play it, and when done he was almost in tears, declaring the Rider to be a much better guitar than his “iconic” Gibson.

Due to the onset of arthritis, I can’t play this wonderful beast for long periods. The sustain is amazing, the tone deep and rich. I have never played better sounding guitars, aside from expensive top line Takamine steel acoustics. 
Have a Schecter Diamond Series which I love, and a nice old Takamine  C132S nylon classical for other stuff.
So, reluctantly, the Rider will be sold. It is in Central Otago, New Zealand at present, but could be shipped anywhere. 
Gary Jeffries. 

Archived