Is music a spiritual endeavor?

rainrainwash3

• Members

I played in a church band for several years, that was a spiritual endeavor.  I'm also grateful for 10 fingers and the ability to hear and appreciate other music so in the spirit of thankfulness I guess I would have to answer yes for me.

• Members

I've actually been doing a quite a bit of thinking recently on the topic of the relation of music to the spiritual discovery of man and how it aids us in understanding ourselves. My thoughts (un-educated meditations, mind you, I am by no means "certified" on the subject) thus far have been leaning towards the idea of musical expression of any sort being more of a side-effect to the endeavor rather than the endeavor itself.

By this I mean that though we may write a heartfelt piece of music to express ourselves, it is the initial searching of the soul to find what resonates with how you truly feel at that moment that is the expression, and the following words and melodies and harmonies have no choice but to come forth having been revealed. 

...I think... ;)

• Members

You would not have music, you would only have what is inside your mind, and while that's a good thing for some.......  btw  WTF are you doing here, damn trolls.

jamesp wrote:

If you could remove the material components from music, what would you have?

• Members

lo-ky-stro wrote:

I've actually been doing a quite a bit of thinking recently on the topic of the relation of music to the spiritual discovery of man and how it aids us in understanding ourselves. My thoughts (un-educated meditations, mind you, I am by no means "certified" on the subject) thus far have been leaning towards the idea of musical expression of any sort being more of a side-effect to the endeavor rather than the endeavor itself.

By this I mean that though we may write a heartfelt piece of music to express ourselves, it is the initial searching of the soul to find what resonates with how you truly feel at that moment that is the expression, and the following words and melodies and harmonies have no choice but to come forth having been revealed. 

...I think...
;)

Run that by me again?  What key is that played in?

• Members

JoeJazz wrote:

I played in a church band for several years, that was a spiritual endeavor.  I'm also grateful for 10 fingers and the ability to hear and appreciate other music so in the spirit of thankfulness I guess I would have to answer yes for me.

^ This pretty much.

Archived