Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandolin question

Hi all you HCAG types.  Been a while. 

A mandolin is not exactly an acoustic guitar but I think this is the nearest forum I'm going to get for a mandolin question to be on topic.

Stupid noob question probably but ....

Does a mandolin HAVE to be considerably harder to play than an acoustic guitar?  I don't mean because of the narrow fingerboard - I can accept that - but the string tension on the mandolins I have (two of them) is really high and makes it really hard to play fluently. Is that because they're cheap and crappy (they're no-name things) or are all mandos like that?

Cheers

Keith

http://www.surrealisticpenguin.com

Nope. My wife has a mandolin that plays like butter. Weber.

Comment

• Surrealistic
      Surrealistic commented
      Editing a comment

Thanks - I'd guessed it might be the case.  Sounds like I'm in the market for a new mandolin then

The same laws apply to mandolins that apply to acoustic guitars.

I paid $35 for a setup on a $50 Rogue mandolin, and it was worth every penny.

A good setup can make even a cheap mandolin "play like butter".

Proud reject from the HCAG Civil Posters Society, Martin snob, vitriolic sociopath, and tantrumist

Comment

• Surrealistic
      Surrealistic commented
      Editing a comment

FretFiend. wrote:

The same laws apply to mandolins that apply to acoustic guitars.

I paid $35 for a setup on a $50 Rogue mandolin, and it was worth every penny.

A good setup can make even a cheap mandolin "play like butter".

Interesting.  Presumably not every guitar tech is going to be adept at setting up a mandolin though - or are they?

• Opa John
      Opa John commented
      Editing a comment

I've got a cheap $150 Ibanez that I got at Sam Ash. It came out of the box with what I'd call a perfect setup. It's an "A" style all-laminated that plays and sounds as good as some more expensive mandolins I've had in the past.

I think, with a proper setup and medium gauge strings, just about any mandolin can be made to sound and play pretty good.

Ibanez In Case.JPG

Attached Files

Take one (or both) to a good repairman and have them set up properly. Then they'll be as easy to play as your guitar.

Comment

• katopp
      katopp commented
      Editing a comment
      No, they won't.
      The high tension will still make a noticeable difference. If you want to have something that is as easky to play as a guitar, get an Octave Mando a Mandocello or an Irish Bouzouki.
Working...
X