jumbo or dreadnought?

t_e_l_e

• Members

ok i have an old washburn dreadnought i played the hell out of it were the frets are dead and a refret costs more than a new guitar

i also have a washburn parlor guitar from the anniversary series, which i like

the parlor is fun to play, but sound wise its kinda small and not full sounding the higher strings are not so shimmering...

so i'm looking for a new guitar, mostly for recording

hard thing to this task is, i'm a lefty, so there is not so much choice and not so much possibilities to try things out

but basic question, dreadnought or jumbo? what are the pors and cons of the one and the other?

• Members

A good jumbo with have the perfect balance of bass, mids, and treble, while a dreadnaught has bass at the expense of the mids and treble...just the design.

Good jumbos often have the name "Guild" on the peghead, and sometimes you'll find one called "Taylor" or "Gibson"...

Go try some, see what you think.

• Members

I agree with Graeca. Jumbos sound better, and they sure as heck look better. A dread is more a box that has been rounded off, but a jumbo still has the curves. This is my unscientific view, but I believe the roundedness allows notes to bounce around inside as nature intended, so come out sounding better.  I believe they are pretty close in cubic inch volume. Yes the pricy ones are nice (duh) but one worth looking at if you have the chance is the Epiphone EJ200CE. I think they can be had for around $400 and are quite impressive. My jumbo is a Tacoma Jm something or other. Finish peeled off like sunburned skin, but oh the tone baby!

• Members

I've had both a Guild J55 Jumbo and my current D55 Dred.  I agree with the assessments above re tonal qualities of each.  Since you mention recording as your main use I would go with the Jumbo as it articulates better across high,mid and lows.  For live playing I prefer the Dred as it has more punch and is louder.

• Members

I can't think of any jumbo I've tried that I liked.  I know they are out there.  I've always played dreads, but recently got a little OM Martin that I just love.  Don't let the size fool you, OMs can put out pretty full sound.  Also check out the grand auditorium or grand concert size. 

Bottom line is all the advice you'll get here isn't worth a minute of the time actually trying out different guitars.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I'd second the opinion that guitars are too individual in character to evaluate them by body type alone. My '74 Hummingbird sounds NOTHING like my Takamine EF350 and neither of those sounds anything like my all-plywood beater. But all are dreads. I will say that I love both types. My lone jumbo is a late 70s Yammie CJ838S.

Archived