Yamaha FG700s

kayd_mon

• Members

Ok, so I'm from the electric guitar forum, so apologies if this beater guitar is discussed too often.

I recently won a raffle for a Yamaha FG700s, and when I brought it home, I was quite surprised and pleased with the sound.  Lots of volume, and very balanced tone.  I don't know all that much about acoustic guitars, and I had no idea about this model.  Since it sounded so nice, I wondered if it was a pricey model, and I was surprised to learn that it is a beginner's guitar!

My nice acoustic is a Larrivee D-03R, and playing them side-by-side.... well my Larrivee plays a lot better, and I have to admit the strings are in desperate need of changing on it, but the Yamaha sounds so good I almost think I should just sell my Larrivee since it's worth a few bucks.  Crazy.  I don't know if I'll actually sell my Larrivee, but I really am surprised by this cheapie. Are cheap acoustics always this nice?

• Members

You have what is probably the best "cheap guitar" available today. Yep, it is a little lacking on the boom and bass. It does have a somewhat endearing tone tho. Probably due to the solid spruce top. And it is extremely well built. The FG7xx series is very well thought of here.

I have one. It's my beater that I take on vacations, business trips, etc., so I don't have to put my D-28 in harm's way. IMO, there is nothing else out there that even comes close in the two hundred bucks price range.

In answer to your question; No. Cheap acoustics are not always this nice.

• Members

Can't add much to FF's response other than the FG line has been the premier "entry level" workhorse brand since the '60s.  Can't kill the sombitches.  I still have my FG340 from the late '70s. Thing is build like a tank and refuses to move on to another life.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived