No announcement yet.

Yamaha FG700s

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha FG700s

Ok, so I'm from the electric guitar forum, so apologies if this beater guitar is discussed too often.

I recently won a raffle for a Yamaha FG700s, and when I brought it home, I was quite surprised and pleased with the sound.  Lots of volume, and very balanced tone.  I don't know all that much about acoustic guitars, and I had no idea about this model.  Since it sounded so nice, I wondered if it was a pricey model, and I was surprised to learn that it is a beginner's guitar!

My nice acoustic is a Larrivee D-03R, and playing them side-by-side.... well my Larrivee plays a lot better, and I have to admit the strings are in desperate need of changing on it, but the Yamaha sounds so good I almost think I should just sell my Larrivee since it's worth a few bucks.  Crazy.  I don't know if I'll actually sell my Larrivee, but I really am surprised by this cheapie. Are cheap acoustics always this nice?

Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

You have what is probably the best "cheap guitar" available today. Yep, it is a little lacking on the boom and bass. It does have a somewhat endearing tone tho. Probably due to the solid spruce top. And it is extremely well built. The FG7xx series is very well thought of here.

I have one. It's my beater that I take on vacations, business trips, etc., so I don't have to put my D-28 in harm's way. IMO, there is nothing else out there that even comes close in the two hundred bucks price range.

In answer to your question; No. Cheap acoustics are not always this nice.

__________________________________________________ _________
    Proud reject from the HCAG Civil Posters Society.

Comment

• guildfire
      guildfire commented
      Editing a comment

Can't add much to FF's response other than the FG line has been the premier "entry level" workhorse brand since the '60s.  Can't kill the sombitches.  I still have my FG340 from the late '70s. Thing is build like a tank and refuses to move on to another life.

I'm going to try and lower the action on mine once the factory strings wear out. Oh - the factory Yamaha strings, which you apparently can't buy - sound great.
    Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

• FretFiend.
      FretFiend. commented
      Editing a comment

I was also favorably impressed with the original strings that came on my Yammie. Too bad they are not available.

those Yamaha FG700s are great guitars , alot of folks have them -their great sounding , practically bullet proof and take a beating -you are a lucky guy !  congrats 

Comment

Working...
    X