Taylor 414 vs Larrivee L03R

Moonlight Blue

• Members

I have been on a hunt for a new acoustic guitar (I already own a Taylor Big Baby) and I have narrowed down my search to these 2 models:

- Taylor 414 (grand auditorium shape with ovangkol back/sides), and

- Larrivee L-03R (fairly similar shape and specs than the 414, but with Rosewood back/side).

Pricewise, the Taylor is more money. Both feel great. Larrivee has raving reviews accross the board. Taylor has mixed reviews. Many loves the Taylor tone and quality, but many also have gotten tired of the brightness or "dullness" of the same taylor tone, which is categorized as being vanilla. I don't know what all that really mean, but I can't ignore user reviews after they have played their guitars several months. Trying out a guitar in a store for 30 minutes (which I have done half a dozen time the past 3 weeks) is not always sufficient to make the right choice. Since we are talking about $1,200 to $1,500 I don't want to rush and overlook something.

What's your experience with either of these guitars? :thu:

Moonlight Blue

• Members

I'm guessing you'll get a diversity of opinions. I've owned three 414's. The first two had ovangkol back and sides; my current one is a limited edition that has rosewood. The reason I've owned three is that each time I've sold one, I've regretted it and thus ended up replacing it. I'm planning to hang on to my current one.

I don't find Taylors to be overly bright, though they're certainly brighter sounding than - say - a comparable Martin. I've never owned an L-03. The only Larrivee I've owned was a D-05. While a nice guitar, I didn't find it to have a very disinguished tone, which is why I sold it.

I think it depends on the tone you're looking for, as opposed to what others prefer.

Keep in mind also that these two guitars play differently, and while they might both seem to play great in the store, the odds are over time you'd find yourself preferring one to the other in that department.

In any event, I love my current 414. I really like the Expression System. To me it sounds far more natural than any other pickup/preamp combination I've played. I'm also a fan of the NT neck design.

• Members

You can get a Larrivee L-03R for about $850. I would go with the L-03R over the Taylor. It's several hundred less and sounds better too.

I paid $779.00 for an L-03 (mahogany) 4 months ago from Jason at http://www.notableguitars.com/

Visit his website and email him for his current price list. He has the best prices, free shipping and outstanding customer service.

• Members

Originally posted by Moonlight Blue

I have been on a hunt for a new acoustic guitar (I already own a Taylor Big Baby) and I have narrowed down my search to these 2 models:

- Larrivee L-03R (fairly similar shape and specs than the 414, but with Rosewood back/side).

Pricewise, the Taylor is more money. Both feel great. Larrivee has raving reviews accross the board. Taylor has mixed reviews. Many loves the Taylor tone and quality, but many also have gotten tired of the brightness or "dullness" of the same taylor tone, which is categorized as being vanilla. I don't know what all that really mean, but I can't ignore user reviews after they have played their guitars several months. Trying out a guitar in a store for 30 minutes (which I have done half a dozen time the past 3 weeks) is not always sufficient to make the right choice. Since we are talking about $1,200 to $1,500 I don't want to rush and overlook something.

What's your experience with either of these guitars?
:thu:

Moonlight Blue

I once played an ovankol and spruce 414 that stil haunts me with memories of touch and tone. But I let her...uhh...it get away. I really loved how responsive it was. Someday....

• Members

Originally posted by t60 fan

I love Larri's, but cannot agree with your statement (only due to it's inaccuracy).

What do you mean exactly? Does the 414 sounds better? In which way?

I did find the L-03RE at nobleguitars.com for $925 free shipping. Worth it? :thu:

MB

:cool:

• Members

I love Larri's, but cannot agree with your statement (only due to it's inaccuracy).

What are you talking about? My statement is based on fact.

You can buy an L-03R for around $900. They were going for $850 4 months ago. The Taylor 414 sells for $1399 at Music123.

According to my math, the the L-03R is apprx. $400 less.

Agree or not, my statement about the price was accurate.

Tone is subjective. My opinion is Larrivee guitars sound better than Taylor guitars. I should have made it clear that I was stating my opinion. Hey, I'm no tone expert.

• Members

This is my take on it:

IMG_2376.jpg

It's a 314CE L7 (Blackwood). Plays and sounds better than it looks IMO.

there it is again, :eek:

man that guitar would look so much better

propped up against MY couch!

• Members

Originally posted by Hudman

What are you talking about? My statement is based on fact.

You can buy an L-03R for around $900. They were going for $850 4 months ago. The Taylor 414 sells for $1399 at Music123.

According to my math, the the L-03R is apprx. $400 less.

Agree or not, my statement about the price was accurate.

Tone is subjective. My opinion is Larrivee guitars sound better than Taylor guitars. I should have made it clear that I was stating my opinion. Hey, I'm no tone expert.

Oh I agree re: the $. But the tone part is where I differ.

• Members

tone is subjective, you'll like one more than the other...

love the L bodied larrivee's... I prefer how my L sounds over every taylor i've heard...

on price alone, i feel (as do alot of folks) that as far as features go, the larrivee is a cut above pretty much anybody...

• Members

Please accept my apologies in advance for the following statement's lack of humility, but the tone of my blackwood Taylor is what I'm referring to, and yes I'm saying it sounds better (to me obviously) than all the Larrivee L's I've heard. And I do love those also - definitely my favorite of the Larrivees.

I guess I'm a sucker for the 3 series L7's. They are the most interesting and unique (due to the use of blackwood) fall limited Taylor has made IMO. They are rare models in an otherwise large herd: there were 471 units produced of the 314 CE, and only 37 units of her 12-string sister 354.

• Members

Please accept my apologies in advance for the following statement's lack of humility, but the tone of
my blackwood
Taylor is what I'm referring to, and yes I'm saying it sounds better (to me obviously) than all the Larrivee L's I've heard. And I do love those also - definitely my favorite of the Larrivees.

I guess I'm a sucker for the 3 series L7's. They are the most interesting and unique (due to the use of blackwood) fall limited Taylor has made IMO. They are rare models in an otherwise large herd: there were 471 units produced of the 314 CE, and only 37 units of her 12-string sister 354.

well i haven't played your taylor... haha... actually its been probably 2 years since i've played ANY taylor... i've just given up on them...

but thats beside the point... there's nothing arrogant about stating your preferences... so don't apologize.

• Members

Originally posted by Cldplytkmn

well i haven't played your taylor... haha... actually its been probably 2 years since i've played ANY taylor... i've just given up on them...

but thats beside the point... there's nothing arrogant about stating your preferences... so don't apologize.

Try a GS, I promise you it won't be a waste of your time.;)

• Members

Try a GS, I promise you it won't be a waste of your time.
;)

i'm going to... i haven't had the need to get out to the guitar shop lately... plus i've been so damn busy... but i know that my usual haunt has a couple GS's hanging there, and i intend on putting them through the paces...

• Members

Originally posted by Moonlight Blue

What's your experience with either of these guitars?
:thu:

Moonlight Blue

In narrowing down your choices, I'm wondering if you looked at used guitars. A Martin OM-21 or David Webber Roundbody or OM are in your price range (used). Those are just two examples, as there are many more. If you haven't considered used instruments you should. You can get a better instrument per dollar that way, and since you have a budget, getting a used guitar would be a way to get a better instrument than the ones you listed.

• Members

I owned a Taylor 414CE and sold it .

The replacement was a Martin 000C-16RGT with the Fishman blender.

I like the Martin better al; around, but the Taylor was bigger and had a nice sound to it.

The blender is nicer that the Prefix of my Taylor.

• Members

Originally posted by sdelsolray

In narrowing down your choices, I'm wondering if you looked at used guitars. A Martin OM-21 or David Webber Roundbody or OM are in your price range (used). Those are just two examples, as there are many more. If you haven't considered used instruments you should. You can get a better instrument per dollar that way, and since you have a budget, getting a used guitar would be a way to get a better instrument than the ones you listed.

i perk up every time i see the words Webber and Roundbody in the same sentence

• Members
Originally posted by Hudman

You can get a Larrivee L-03R for about $850. I would go with the L-03R over the Taylor. It's several hundred less and sounds better too.

Man I hate when people say one guitar sounds better than another as if it's a fact. It's only your opinion. I can't understand the raves over the Larivees. Fine guitars for sure, but I'll take any Taylor, Martin, or Breedlove over a Larry. That's my opinion, you are free to agree or disagree.

Archived