acoustic guitar micing

soundman11

• Members

soundman11 wrote:

hi every one i am wondering what mic is best for micing an acoustic guitar for live proformances

The old stand-by is a Shure SM-57, particularily in loud situations, but a lot of folks like large diagram condensers, if the conditions will allow using one (solo guitar in quiet situations).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Graeca wrote:

soundman11 wrote:

hi every one i am wondering what mic is best for micing an acoustic guitar for live proformances

The old stand-by is a Shure SM-57, particularily in loud situations, but a lot of folks like large diagram condensers, if the conditions will allow using one (solo guitar in quiet situations).

The 57 is a good one. Make sure the drums in the backline are out of the pattern though (generally means put the drums behind you and to your left as you'll want the mic angled to point at the body a little).

The 57's one problem is the windscreen; very delicate, especially for one of its more common uses as a snare mic. For guitar it won't be as much of a problem, but if you're worried you can try the Audix i5, basically Audix's competitor to the 57. Similar voicing, a bit brighter, and it has a much more durable cage for the element.

Archived