same old - boring Christmas music -why ?

Tony Burns

• Members

Im just getting tired of the same old boring 20 songs or so that have been sung about 50 bazillion times over the past 50 years . Just wonder how they sell this crap . sure theirs some great songs like Silent night etc.

But really , over and over again - how can an artist make a Christmas album with the same old stuff that everybody else is doing..

It would be like every artist out their doing the same 20 beatles songs 50 bazillion  differnt ways -and thats all you hear at a holiday time of year .

enough is enough -- life needs to be more interesting - would love all new christmas songs every year -

My guess is that their are unique and different songs out their - but they dont play them on the radio becasue they are not established songs - a catch 22 ( if you know what i mean )

I like new exciting things - not the junk for the mass's ( no pun intended )

• Members

Tony Burns wrote:

Im just getting tired of the same old boring 20 songs or so that have been sung about 50 bazillion times over the past 50 years . Just wonder how they sell this crap . sure theirs some great songs like Silent night etc.

But really , over and over again - how can an artist make a Christmas album with the same old stuff that everybody else is doing..

It would be like every artist out their doing the same 20 beatles songs 50 bazillion  differnt ways -and thats all you hear at a holiday time of year .

enough is enough -- life needs to be more interesting - would love all new christmas songs every year -

My guess is that their are unique and different songs out their - but they dont play them on the radio becasue they are not established songs - a catch 22 ( if you know what i mean )

I like new exciting things - not the junk for the mass's ( no pun intended )

Absolute agreement...and the audiences seem to agree, as well!

Many's the time I've had folks say to me that they appreciate my humorous (in Family-Friendly) takes on the usual stuff, like "Santa Claus Is Copping A 'Tude", "Jimbob, The Redneck Reindeer", "Rusty Chevrolet" and the more obscure Christmas songs, like "The Virgin Mary Had Her A Son" (Carribean),  "Snoopy's Christmas" (Royal Guardsmen), "Christmas In Jail" (Leroy Carr), "Christmas On Riverside Drive" (King Creole), "The Christmas Song" (Nat "King" Cole's version), and

• Members

Pandora's Christmas channel actually has an excellent mix of old and new, traditional and nontraditional music.  I have been listening to it all day in my office and have heard some very cool Christmas songs that I never heard before in my life.  They really do a good job mixing it up.  For example, they just went from Michael Buble >> Amy Grant >> Bing Crosby >> Vince Guaraldi Trio >> Barenaked Ladies >> to a guy named Matt Wertz who is singing a song called "Snow Globe" that is actually pretty cool.  It's a refreshing change of pace. 

Terrestrial radio typically plays the same 20 or so songs over and over.  Sure I want to hear the classics from when I was young, but at least mix it up with some new stuff or just something different here and there.  I think they are trying to catch the casual channel flipper looking for Christmas songs so they play the classics, knowing that it will catch the ear of the typical listener. 

Pandora does it right, check it out I think you will really enoy the selection.

• Members

Sometimes i wonder - Think some of these Artists are just trying to make a fastbuck by doing the classics , that sometimes i feel are over done. When their heart is put into something and their really trying to be different or put their own spin on it -thats fine in my book .

Thanks to all my friends here for your input - many a song im not familiar with to brighten the holiday spirit !

Archived