Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zager guitars?

I am new to this forum and I do wear aesbostas underwear so go for it!

I clicked on Acoustic Guitar at the top, then I clicked on USER REVIEWS and then clicked on ACOUSTIC GUITARS and then scrolled down and read alot of reviews about alot of different guitars including Martins. If money was no object, I would buy a Martin D41. Why, because my ALL time favorite singer song writer Dan Fogelberg. Anyway, heard about Zager guitars and I saw many negative forum comments here, but in the USER REVIEWS I only see ALL positive reviews. So what's the deal with the USER REVIEWS are they hand picked for only positive comments? If not then the Zager guitar according to USER REVIEWS sound like a pretty nice guitar for the money. Many have said that it sounds alot like a more expensive guitar. I do not believe anybody should comment unless they have first hand experiene with this guitar. Meaning, they have bought or played one. Other comments without first hand experience is just an opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

OK, so let the flame throwing begin!
    Tom

I am new to this forum and I do wear aesbostas underwear so go for it!

I clicked on Acoustic Guitar at the top, then I clicked on USER REVIEWS and then clicked on ACOUSTIC GUITARS and then scrolled down and read alot of reviews about alot of different guitars including Martins. If money was no object, I would buy a Martin D41. Why, because my ALL time favorite singer song writer Dan Fogelberg. Anyway, heard about Zager guitars and I saw many negative forum comments here, but in the USER REVIEWS I only see ALL positive reviews. So what's the deal with the USER REVIEWS are they hand picked for only positive comments? If not then the Zager guitar according to USER REVIEWS sound like a pretty nice guitar for the money. Many have said that it sounds alot like a more expensive guitar. I do not believe anybody should comment unless they have first hand experiene with this guitar. Meaning, they have bought or played one. Other comments without first hand experience is just an opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

OK, so let the flame throwing begin!
    Tom

Anyone can leave user reviews.

Comment

I tend to not trust user reviews. People tend to post reviews in three situations, when they LOVE the instrument, when they like the instrument, and when the absolutly HATE it. So you tend to skip on the reviews of people who dislike it slightly, and therefore the balance tends to lean more towards the positive side.
      "Nobody ever reads a book and says what a great alphabet" -Bob Brozman (about playing and emotion)

Check out some of the stuff I've been listening to

Comment

My problem with Zager guitars is this ad: http://www.zagerguitar.com/index.php?event=public.guitars.models&model=dm1&id =19

I do not have any experience with the higher priced Zager guitars but I do have experience with Sigma "Martin" acoustic guitars. The Sigma Martin DM guitar that Mr. Zager sells for $495 was discontinued by Martin and is basically a $100 all laminate guitar made in Korea. He says he has lowered the saddle and re-cut the nut to widen the spacing. This type of work can be done by any trained luthier for about $70. Lowering the saddle is simply a process of removing it and sanding a few mm's off of it. Cutting a new nut from bone costs $50. Apparently Mr.Zager also has the the braces scalloped by trained luthiers but I'd like to know how he is able to do that with an instrument that is already built and shipped from Korea. Scallopping the braces is part of building a guitar and doesn't make it anymore expensive.

Now...I own a Sigma Martin DM-2 which is basically the same guitar but with a tortoise pickguard and much better sealed tuners. I have set it up myself to play like butter and it does. I paid $150 for it used in mint condition with a case and there is no way in heck that it is worth $495 no matter what Mr Zager says. I know this because I also own a $1000 Martin and there is absolutely no comparison.
        Guitars = Chick Magnet
        Guitar Hero = Guy Magnet
        You do the math.

HCAG Civil Posters Society, Charter Member #002.
        Simple music is the hardest music to play and blues is simple music. - Albert Collins

Comment

I tend to not trust user reviews. People tend to post reviews in three situations, when they LOVE the instrument, when they like the instrument, and when the absolutly HATE it. So you tend to skip on the reviews of people who dislike it slightly, and therefore the balance tends to lean more towards the positive side.

You forgot one:

People can leave multiple reviews (under multiple user ID's) for guitars they endorse.

Comment

Yep, annoying but very true.
            "Nobody ever reads a book and says what a great alphabet" -Bob Brozman (about playing and emotion)

Check out some of the stuff I've been listening to

Comment

OK, so what about the ZAD 80 anybody out there have first hand experience with this model. It's Zagers top of the line for $745.

As far as the USER REVIEWS go if someone pays alot of money for something then they aren't likely to admit it if they don't like it, just ask a Mercedes owner. Nobody wants to admit they spent alot of money for something and admit you made a bad financial decision. But a reasonable or inexpensive product most people would gladly give their opinion especially if it did not live up to their expectations or the advertisement hype. It looks to me, again based on the USER REVIEWs that alot of people were pleasantly surprised with the product and the service. I also think that it would be alot of trouble to leave reviews under different ID's, not that it couldn't be done.

I also looked at Zagers Ebay feed back rating of 100%. That says something by it self.
              Tom

Comment

Zagers have been written about extensively here. I have only played one and heard 2 so my opinion is based on those 2 guitars. The one I played ironically had very high action - I don't know if she asked for it this way, or if it just badly needed a truss rod adjustment or what, but it was uncomfortable to play. Neither of the two I heard sounded great. They were OK, but I have heard way better sounding guitars for the same money. I have the action on my guitars set at 3/32" at the 12th fret. I experience no fatigue at all with a string height like that and no special modifications were necessary - just had my luthier set my guitars up to my specs and I was good to go.

Go to Guitar Center and play a bunch of guitars in that price range. Try some Yamahas, Epiphone Masterbuilts, some Parkwoods, Taylors, etc. and get one that you like. IMHO the Zager won't sound or play as good as one of these properly set up.

This is strictly my opinion with absolutely nothing to back it up - the reviews for Zager's Gutars sound eerily similar in style.
                Originally Posted by Samilyn

Can't put a price on the love one has for an instrument, the mojo it gains from being played by you or good friends, or the good feelings it produces when you pick it up and it feels like an old friend, no matter what the the numbers on the price tag.

Listen to my CD on iTunes: The Girl With A Pearl Earring by Steve Z

One of my songs done by a friend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJQQGTtRqy0

Comment

OK, so what about the ZAD 80 anybody out there have first hand experience with this model. It's Zagers top of the line for $745.

As far as the USER REVIEWS go if someone pays alot of money for something then they aren't likely to admit it if they don't like it, just ask a Mercedes owner. Nobody wants to admit they spent alot of money for something and admit you made a bad financial decision. But a reasonable or inexpensive product most people would gladly give their opinion especially if it did not live up to their expectations or the advertisement hype. It looks to me, again based on the USER REVIEWs that alot of people were pleasantly surprised with the product and the service. I also think that it would be alot of trouble to leave reviews under different ID's, not that it couldn't be done.

I also looked at Zagers Ebay feed back rating of 100%. That says something by it self.
                  Tom

Why ask for opinions when you already made your mind up?

Give Denny your money if you want to.

Comment

The ones that irk me are the fourth-situation type: Completely fictitious reviews from Zager shills.

Similarly, I've noticed that absolutely invariably when Zager is mentioned on this forum and promptly pimp slapped by the AG community, someone with no posts whatsoever will spring up out of the blue and post a bunch of sunshine on Zager's behalf. I'm not saying that is necessarily what is going on in this thead, but it is curious in that it happens literally every time.
                    I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet.I.K.F.C.E.S.C.Potato SocietySAWG

Comment

The ones that irk me are the fourth-situation type: Completely fictitious reviews from Zager shills.

Similarly, I've noticed that absolutely invariably when Zager is mentioned on this forum and promptly pimp slapped by the AG community, someone with no posts whatsoever will spring up out of the blue and post a bunch of sunshine on Zager's behalf. I'm not saying that is necessarily what is going on in this thead, but it is curious in that it happens literally every time.

Funny how that works.

They want to keep selling those $300 set up jobs.

String science = $$$$$

Comment

String science = $$$$$

I know, man. I've got to get in on this thing.

For some time now, I have been working on a small winching device that can be attached to the peghead of a guitar - six of them, say - and then used to increase or decrease the tension of a string in order to alter its pitch. I call it "Pitch Science."
                        I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet.I.K.F.C.E.S.C.Potato SocietySAWG

Comment

Why ask for opinions when you already made your mind up?

Give Denny your money if you want to.

OK, I think I will, the ad says 100% money back guarantee so what do I have to loose right. Then maybe I'll take it down to GC and compare in person.
                          I will then post here with my first hand experience and opinion. Wouldn't that be fair?

Comment

OK, I think I will, the ad says 100% money back guarantee so what do I have to loose right. Then maybe I'll take it down to GC and compare in person.
                            I will then post here with my first hand experience and opinion. Wouldn't that be fair?

I don't care what you do.

You can light it on fire in your driveway or throw it off a bridge.

Makes no difference to me.

You came here to defend the Zager brand. I almost feel honored that we drew Denny's attention.

Comment

I know, man. I've got to get in on this thing.

For some time now, I have been working on a small winching device that can be attached to the peghead of a guitar - six of them, say - and then used to increase or decrease the tension of a string in order to alter its pitch. I call it "Pitch Science."

"Pitch Science"?

I like it.

Can I be your shill guy? I will pop up on forums and defend your "Pitch Science" when people point out that all guitars come with small winching devices.

Comment

Working...
                              X