Zagar guitars ,yay or nay ?

granchton

• Members

Denny Zager takes a $200 all laminated Pac Rim guitar, files the frets down to nothing, lowers the action as far as it can possibly go, puts 10 gauge strings on it, slaps a "Zager" logo on it, then sells it to you for $800.

If that's what you want in a guitar.....go for it......but, your money would be better spent by buying a $200 Yamaha and having it properly set up by your local guitar tech.

• Members

If you check the old threads Freeman mentioned, you'll find me as the lone voice in the wilderness that feels that the Zager guitar is not such a bad purchase depending on what your needs are and guitar experience. 

I am also one of the few on here who owned one for several years.   I bought mine out of curiousity and under the protection of an ironclad return policy.   I was struggling with my dreds and looking for anything to aid playability as I am afflicted with carpal tunnel and arthritis in my left hand.   The Zager IS easy to play, and it is set up with extra light strings.   My frets were slightly leveled, but not "filed down" but also not crowned.  Cosmetically nice overall.  Sounded like any pac rim, lam back dread in the $3-400 range.   It doesn't sound as good as a MartinGisbsunTaylor whatever.   

I don't play it anymore as it did not ease my symptoms as much as switching to a short scale did.   I didn't return it because it has served perfectly starting out my kids on acoustics (less hurt on fingers).   Can you duplicate the set up on a similar import for less money?  Yes, but noobs don't know about set ups, and want their instrument to play easy out of the box.  If the extra money is no deterrent to them, they are rewarded for the upcharge with an instrument that plays as promised and will encourage pursuit of guitar more readily than a standard heavier/higher set up, less expensive beginner instrument they get off the rack at the discount shop.   Despite Zager's questionable marketing puffery, anything that gets and keeps people playing is a positive to me. 

• Members

valentsgrif wrote:

If you check the old threads Freeman mentioned, you'll find me as the lone voice in the wilderness that feels that the Zager guitar is not such a bad purchase depending on what your needs are and guitar experience. 

I am also one of the few on here who owned one for several years.   I bought mine out of curiousity and under the protection of an ironclad return policy.   I was struggling with my dreds and looking for anything to aid playability as I am afflicted with carpal tunnel and arthritis in my left hand.   The Zager IS easy to play, and it is set up with extra light strings.   My frets were slightly leveled, but not "filed down" but also not crowned.  Cosmetically nice overall.  Sounded like any pac rim, lam back dread in the $3-400 range.   It doesn't sound as good as a MartinGisbsunTaylor whatever.   

I don't play it anymore as it did not ease my symptoms as much as switching to a short scale did.   I didn't return it because it has served perfectly starting out my kids on acoustics (less hurt on fingers).   Can you duplicate the set up on a similar import for less money?  Yes, but noobs don't know about set ups, and want their instrument to play easy out of the box.  If the extra money is no deterrent to them, they are rewarded for the upcharge with an instrument that plays as promised and will encourage pursuit of guitar more readily than a standard heavier/higher set up, less expensive beginner instrument they get off the rack at the discount shop.   Despite Zager's questionable marketing puffery, anything that gets and keeps people playing is a positive to me. 

I kind of agree with this post, for some people a Zagar could be the right guitar. From what I've heard they are quite easy to play. But you do pay a heavy charge for that ease of play. Also, decently set up regular guitars really arent that hard to play, might as well do it right.

Just my opinion of course.

• Members

granchton wrote:

Is the hype true ? speially constructed for ease of play . I want a good acoustic/electric in 500 price range .

heres a link

A big YAY! 

It's rated in the top 2% of guitars.  And Dennis is online right now providing customer service. 

There are some cork-sniffers who diss Zagers. I say it's an honest company trying to make an honest buck. 

It's not like they're selling crack to little kids. They're selling guitars that will still be around in the year 2525. 

Jump on it while you have the chance.

EZ play eases stress and increases your life expectancy. Your wives and mothers will feel better if you're playing a Zager. 

• Members

The Ovation had a big mic stand dent in the neck and the nut was way too high and the guitar I have now sounds better .

Im spooked on zagars . I dislike small frets and the deceit of them implying some kind of special design .I was skeptical also because of the song 2525  .

Archived