I put a Dimarzio super 2 and an emg 81 in my les paul

mbengs1

• Members

No. One is powered, and one is passive. requires different wiring diagrams since one requires the electronics to be grounded, the DiMarrzio, the other is a closed ground system. besides, they used different pot values. the EMG's use a 25K pot, the Dimarrzio, 500K.

If your "tech" did this, fire the idiot.

• Members

Umm ... You Play..... Music is Good .........

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t115fc09fb6945bd4b04390e74e9d21bb.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t188.6 KB ID:\t32281195","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32281195","data-size":"full","title":"115fc09fb6945bd4b04390e74e9d21bb.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

• Members

NO, they don't match. As others have mentioned, the EMG81 is an active pickup, the DiMarzio is passive. It will actually work OK if you stick to one pickup or the other, but if you try to run both pickups at once, I would expect the EMG to dominate because it's much lower impedance than the DiMarzio. In other words, both pickups together will sound a lot like the EMG by itself.

• Members

Like the others said you can't match an active pickup with a passive pickup. The closest thing you can do is put an EMG-H4(Passive) with Super-2 together in a guitar and maybe throw in an EMG Afterburner as an extra.

Here's a comparison between 81 and HZ

• Members
Like the others said you can't match an active pickup with a passive pickup.

Well that's not all together true. Like many things in electronics, there are multiple ways to skin a cat. You simply need to ask someone who knows those tricks.

There are two basic ways. One is to use an active mixer circuit. This would of course work but seeing the EMG is already active there is no need to amplify its signal again. The easiest way is to simply preamplify the passive pickup. There are several different preamp circuits made specifically for guitars which will work with passive pickups.

Artec makes some inexpensive drop in circuits which mount to a potentiometer. I've bought a half dozen circuits of there's and their battery consumption is ultra low. You can run them for a year or more without draining a battery so connecting it to the EMG battery shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, I don't think the pot shaft on their preamp is long enough. A Les Paul needs a long shaft to span the mounting distance.

The other option is to Install an EMG-PA-2 without the switch on the passive pickup. There are two benefits to doing this. With the trimpot on the PA-2, you can adjust the gain of the passive pickups to match the EMG’s. Second, The PA-2 acts as an impedance matching device so you can use the low-impedance EMG controls (25K) without affecting the tone of the passive pickups.

Personally I wouldn't be using EMG's Les Paul. I've tried them in other Gibsons and they are a lousy match if you ask me. If I was stuck with Dimarzio's I'd wire them they way I had them with series parallel switches. This allows a high gain and a more vintage tone from the pickups. Otherwise I'd use vintage PAF's. Really, what's the good in playing a Les Paul is it doesn't sound like one.

• Members

If you have already installed the two, together, as the title suggests, would you care to post the diagram or pics of the cavity? As I mentioned in your other thread, passive and active work on different principles and require different schematics.

• Members
Well that's not all together true. Like many things in electronics, there are multiple ways to skin a cat. You simply need to ask someone who knows those tricks. . . .

. . . Personally I wouldn't be using EMG's Les Paul. I've tried them in other Gibsons and they are a lousy match if you ask me. . . . Really, what's the good in playing a Les Paul is it doesn't sound like one.

Unfortunately, neither the OP nor his "luthier" knows. In the case of his guitar, no, they don't match. As for what pickups are suited to a LP, as you pointed out, there's more than one way to achieve something and different people go for different sounds. Your idea of what a LP should sound like might (and probably does) differ from someone else's idea. Someone might love the look of a LP but not want the traditional PAF sound.

• Members

Tone Snobbery? Really. Do you own and LP and have you tried EMG's in it? If you have and like that sound then good for you. I have tried it and prefer the vintage tone instead. If that makes me a tone snob then so be it.

• Members

Someone might love the look of a LP but not want the traditional PAF sound.

Good for them, but WTF does that have to do with me.

I responded to others who said a passive and active pickup cant be used together. I gave them a solution to the problem. Combining a passive pickup with an active produces an impedance mismatch. The fix is to use a second preamp, preferably an EMG to match the passive pickup's output to an active one.

As far as my liking Vintage PAF pickups over EMG's, that's "my" preference based on "my" experience. I didn't ask anyone here to agree with my preferences, but I'm not in a minority with that opinion either.

The reason "most" people buy an LP, aside from its playability is to get LP tone. Otherwise what's the point? The instrument is perfectly fine from the factory as is and doesn't need modification. Gibson even gives you a couple of pickup choices if you prefer something else. If you want a guitar with different tone go for it. It's not like there's a shortage of choices available these days.

• Members

No, "you" (note the misuse of quotation marks for future reference) aren't necessarily in the minority but "you" (note it again) didn't allow much leeway either: "Really, what's the good in playing a Les Paul is it doesn't sound like one." (Note the correct use of quotation marks this time.) AFAIK, active EMGs lack the high end peak that's usually inherent in magnetic pickups. As such, they may not be everyone's cup of tea. The word "sterile" (again, note the correct use of quotation marks) is often used to describe their tone. "Some" (note misuse again) people might like the playability of a LP but that's separate from its tone. "I" (and again) would be happy with a stock LP. The design was supposed to be a work of art. "I" (and again) happen to think it is and "I" (one last time) would love to own one simply for that reason.

• Members

This les paul custom that I have is an old kind of guitar. like vintage. not that old maybe late 60's. Is it right to put high output pickups like the emg 81 and dimarzio super 2 in it? coz it sounded fine with the 498t. maybe something ain't jivin'.

• Members

I made a video using my iPhone. just 1 minute of me demoing the les paul with the new pickups. actually the emg is very old (I think from the 90's but the dimarzio is new). they match perfectly. just had to break em in... and get the feel for those two pickups. but it worked. i'm happy with my sound. 920D Custom sent me the pickups. thanks to them. i'm playing a randy rhoads solo here. tell me what you think coz I think there's something wrong with my feel on the guitar. I got some clucking in my 3rd tendril when I play that guitar. hopefully i'll see what's wrong with my hands on the Gibson les paul. I had it so long and only recently had started having that problem. It's nothing I wanna change it.

https://youtu.be/0UnUqyckTiw

• Members

WTF has that got to do with the price of Tea in China?

You know you really need to get a life and stop obsessing on everything I post.

You've way too predictable. First you attack without cause, then when you get the rebuttal you deserve, then you get personal and start attacking the words I use.

I think everybody here understands you have a problem containing your bias. Thing is, nobody is interested in whatever your personal grudge is. Even I don't understand nor care what it is.

I give you two options. You can either choose to put me on your ignore list willingly or I'll ask the Moderator to do it. I've asked nicely on numerous occasions for you to stay out of my posts. It doesn't work. You go a month or two then you're right back at it, like some kind of self appointed censor.

• Members
Sounds good' date=' mbengs, but I would opt to use either two EMGs or two passive pickups in the LP, like others here have said you should do. But to each their own, and w/e works for you.[/quote']

:wave:

• Members
Hi Mikeo! :wave:

hello hbs

It's been a busy summer for me, I spent 8 days in a stress-reduction program at the local hospital. I tried to go on Zoloft, by the starter pack messed me up so badly I had to get off it in 5 days. I had no desire to do anything and I mean nothing.

I met folks for all walks of life there at the hospital and there was once common thread we all had and that was other people in our life sucked our souls dry. Turns out there was nothing wrong with me at all, a bit of anxiety, some depression that were all work related. It didn't hurt me at all.

I got to do some cool new age like stuff. The Tibetan singing bowls were amazing, I want a set, but they ain't cheap.

[video=youtube;RgqxZU6_qOY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgqxZU6_qOY

[video=youtube;oCPoG3EGwVw]

Anway to stick with the program, I stopped listening to myself and started listening to folks that know about mindfulness and mental health.

I am on Remeron now at the lowest dosage. and I also have a pill I can take hydroxyzine three times a day if need be. So far this summer the assholes I work with are off doing other shit and I haven't seen them in 2 months. Time will tell.

At 56 I have a few more work years left in me.

I have been just playing about the house and not gigging.

My wife was super supportive in this whole ordeal.

The PhDs said I was pretty smart and articulate. I just hate the email bs at work, Tha way they can document your every word and ton of the message. I have over a year's worth of sick time on the books, 6 weeks vacation, plus a week of personal time. I'm gonna be better at playing games at work. I got myself a social worker, and doctors note. They don't know it, but I can check out any time I need too.

My buddy and my dentist say all I need is some good weed, but they frown upon stuff like that at work. Plus as big of a dope town this place is ,I have no idea where I would get weed and I ain't hitting the streets for it.

I'm checking in to a medical weed care, on my next appointment. It's a new law in MA and signed paperwork by our governor.

I'm not sure what my next axe is, it's been a year plus since I have looked at anything. My last purchases were.

I think this was my last purchase

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Rickenbacker 350v63.jpg","data-attachmentid":32286453}[/ATTACH]

and one of these a few years ago

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"udpa5uboemwivvhs28op.jpg","data-attachmentid":32286454}[/ATTACH]

I actually don't buy that much. Both guitars are freaking amazing. I have tried them through many Fender amps I own, a Drz, a Mesa and Marshalls I own. There's a key to a great Rickenbacker sound too.

Take care and stop by when you can. I park my butt most over at HCOJ.

It's pretty much up all day.

Archived