Two amp heads into one cab

Rocknrolla007

• Members

So i have two amp heads (peavey jsx and marshall jvm 410js) and i want to run them BOTH into one cab (rectifier 4x12 with v30s).

I understand i need an aby switch of some sort but from what ive researched i may have issues using BOTH heads at the same time into one cab (slaving i think, maybe? This is new to me)

So what i want to do, is have the ability to run both amps either on their own or simultaneously through one cab woth an fx loop. Comment your sughestions and equipment ill need tp do it properly.. a sketch or diagram would be awesome! Thanks... and RnfnR!!!! \m/

• Members
So i have two amp heads (peavey jsx and marshall jvm 410js) and i want to run them BOTH into one cab (rectifier 4x12 with v30s).

I understand i need an aby switch of some sort but from what ive researched i may have issues using BOTH heads at the same time into one cab (slaving i think, maybe? This is new to me)

Its great you asked for advice first but Definitely do not, never, ever try something like this.

Amp heads require "Independent Loads" They CANNOT share the same load.

What would happen if you Y jacked their outputs is one amp would feed into the other amps output and one amp would blow the other up.

Really, bad idea so stick that one in the dumpster permanently.

What you CAN do is rewire the speaker cab for stereo. You run one head on two speakers and the other on two speakers.

The cab can be wired with Switched jacks which allow the cab to run as normal in mono with all 4 speakers when you plug into one jack. When you use both jacks the cab splits into two 2X12" cabs.

In order to do this you need to make sure a pair of speakers provide a proper impedance for each head. Example, if the cab is 8 ohm (4X8 ohm speakers) a pair of 8's can be wired for 4 or 16 ohm only. so you want to be sure both heads can handle that load. If the cab is 16 ohm then your "Only safe option is 8 ohms per pair. (16+16 in series = 32 which is too high for nearly all heads.

The other thing you need to be sure is whether a pair of wattage is safe. A pair of V30's can handle 120W max so I suspect you'll be safe.

Running both heads will allow you to run stereo effects into both if you want. You'd also be able to use an A/B/Y box on the inputs or make one a slave to the other. Using stereo pedals is by far the best sounding however.

• Members

Thank you for the reply man!.. i like the idea of rewiring the cab to run each head on two speakers each. Ive actually wondered what two v30s and two gt-65s (i think thats the correct model) in an x fashion wpuld sound like with both heads running the same time.

ive also checked out the radial headbone which seems loke it would do the trick, but it doesnt seem like id still be able to run them both at the same time... but it seems the rewiring would still be the best method.

also u mentioned running an effects loop, which is something id definitely like to do. So, would i be able to use it independantly with each head as well as both heads together, and how wouldi go about hooking it up correctly?

sorry for the mess of questions but ive never ran two heads together and it would be a dark day if i blew one of them up lol!

Its great you asked for advice first but Definitely do not, never, ever try something like this.

Amp heads require "Independent Loads" They CANNOT share the same load.

What would happen if you Y jacked their outputs is one amp would feed into the other amps output and one amp would blow the other up.

Really, bad idea so stick that one in the dumpster permanently.

What you CAN do is rewire the speaker cab for stereo. You run one head on two speakers and the other on two speakers.

The cab can be wired with Switched jacks which allow the cab to run as normal in mono with all 4 speakers when you plug into one jack. When you use both jacks the cab splits into two 2X12" cabs.

This.

There have been a few cabinets made that came pre-wired like this so that they could be used with a single amp or with a stereo (two amp) rig, but they're relatively uncommon. Unless you rewire the cab for stereo operation, plugging two amps into a single speaker cabinet is a recipe for blown amps. Do not do it under any circumstances.

• Members

Best method? Its the only method unless you want to blow the heads up.

Wiring the heads for stereo is no different then having to separate, complete amps. All the speakers are doing is sharing the same cab. The wiring allows all 4 speakers to be used when one head is plugged in and run two sets or two speakers when two heads are plugged in.

As to how good it sounds? It may seem fun at first but you'll likely find its not all that exciting. Its actually better when you have two completely separate cabs and can get some separation between them when running stereo effects. Stereo speakers in the same cab are too close together to get any kind of spread.

• Members

No. I'm being forceful here for your own safety. Each head needs its own separate speakers. Period.

If a head is mono/stereo it can run on the cab as is in mono. You have to split the cab wiring to have stereo. .

• Members
So this is thr back of the 4x12 cab.. shouldnt i be able to run them in stereo with this configuration? And thanks all for the replies on this.. like i said' date=' im totally new to this and i DO NOT want to blow up anything! [/quote']

That's obviously wired for mono. Its got extra jacks for connecting additional cabs but that doesn't make them mono.

If the cab has two different sets of speakers then you have to check and see if the speakers are 16 ohm because that plate says the cab is 4 ohms.

Impedance is critical here. If the load impedance doesn't match the heads you can blow them out instantly.

This should be the diagram for wiring the speakers in stereo "IF" you have Four 8 ohm speakers in that cab

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"mono-stereo2.gif","data-attachmentid":32279331}[/ATTACH]

If the speakers are 16 ohm then the two pairs are wired in parallel and you'd either use a switch like this,

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"4sp_mono_stereo_16ohm.gif","data-attachmentid":32279330}[/ATTACH]

Or you could wire them like this. When you use a single head simply use two speaker cables and plug both sets into the head for a 4 ohm load. When you run two speakers the load is 8 ohms per side.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQV0QhJ2TT7ZO0F4Z05L8ZTitswNZSZFc0hVNOJxUj7fsQ_MDoh9A.jpg","data-attachmentid":32279332}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Your cab is already setup to take two amps. You'll need to use the two 4ohm inputs on the cab, and both amps you plan on running must have a 4ohm speaker output.

If you want to switch between amps when you are playing, use an ABY switch between your guitar and the amps.

• Members

Awesome! Thanks for the post. I took a closer look and noticed the bi-amp/stereo inputs, and i kinda thought thats all i needed, but i wasnt entirely sure. Im still somewhat nervous to set it up and turn the power on lol i would just hate to ruin my new amp

• Members

As long as you match the impedance and always have a load on your amps, you are ok. Some amps have a switch that controls the output impedance, and some have different jacks. Just use the right one/set the switch correctly, and you are good to go.

FWIW, Apparently the cab is split so that the Left two speakers run on one 4 ohm input and the Right two speakers on the other.

Archived