The sound of my guitar disappears a little and then comes back. how do i fix this ?

mbengs1

• Members

I think one of the pickups isn't grounded properly. I think I should add a wire connecting the pickup selector to the volume pot. but I really don't know. is there an easy fix to this? like just connecting two components like I think ? :rolleyes:

• Members
I think one of the pickups isn't grounded properly.
Why do you think this?

I think I should add a wire connecting the pickup selector to the volume pot. but I really don't know.

Don't try to fix things if you don't know what's actually wrong. It's very unlikely for unmoving bits of electronics like coils (pickups), capacitors and solder joints to fail. If something's "going bad" in your guitar, it's most likely caused by one of the few moving parts in the guitars' electronics: the volume pot(s), the pickup switch and output jack.Pots wear out with time and use. And if your rotary controls get loose in their holes, the flexing of the wires will eventually cause them to break off and or short out.

is there an easy fix to this? like just connecting two components like I think ? :rolleyes:

Get a multi-meter and watch a youtube video on troubleshooting guitar electronics. A multi-meter (volt-ohm meter) removes the MYSTERY of what electricity is doing. Most of the time you can't troubleshoot electronics by looking, you need a multimeter to see what's really going on.

• Members

Get a multi-meter and watch a youtube video on troubleshooting guitar electronics. A multi-meter (volt-ohm meter) removes the MYSTERY of what electricity is doing. Most of the time you can't troubleshoot electronics by looking, you need a multimeter to see what's really going on.

Grump, I totally agree that a good multimeter is a very valuable tool if you know how to use it. I'm curious how you would approach mbeng's problem with one? "The sound of my guitar disappears a little and then comes back" [h=2][/h]

• Members
I think one of the pickups isn't grounded properly. I think I should add a wire connecting the pickup selector to the volume pot. but I really don't know. is there an easy fix to this? like just connecting two components like I think ? :rolleyes:

Two simple questions. Did you or your luthier mess with it? What did you do?

• Members

In all likelihood it is bad cable (try a known good cable), the solder connections at the output jack (inspect for broken solder joint) or a dirty (corrosion) pickup selector switch (spray with contact cleaner or replace). Grounding issues create hum, not intermittent output.

• Members

Two simple questions. Did you or your luthier mess with it? What did you do?

I had my luthier install 3 pickups. the middle pickup is called Tesla VR-1 (bridge). It stopped working when I tried to adjust the height of the pickup (putting foam underneath so it can get closer to the strings. It's a bridge pickup so putting it in the middle may have to do with it's not working.

• Members

. It's a bridge pickup so putting it in the middle may have to do with it's not working.

Yes that has every thing to do with it a pickup that only work in one position. Are you really that much of a moron???

• Members

I had my luthier install 3 pickups. the middle pickup is called Tesla VR-1 (bridge). It stopped working when I tried to adjust the height of the pickup (putting foam underneath so it can get closer to the strings. It's a bridge pickup so putting it in the middle may have to do with it's not working.

Is this the same "luthier" that has demonstrated his incompetence with every other mod you've come up with?

• Members

Originally posted by mbengs1 View Post

" It's a bridge pickup so putting it in the middle may have to do with it's not working."

Uhhh no. Not on this or any other planet. The pickup doesn't care what position it's in. Maybe you thought it was mad at you, for putting it in the middle position, when all pickups know deep in their coils that the only real pickup is the lead one.

The simple fact is that you F*CKED UP the wiring. Or your so called butcher of a "tech" did.

First off, learn what you can and can not do. Obviously, any kind of maintenance, repair, or modifications fall under the "can not" do. So learn how to wipe the guitar down, and find a tech who can do more then change strings.

Here is how it should be wired. I shared this with you before I think. I haven't a clue as to whether it's HSH. SSH, SSS,HHH, and frankly, don't give a rat's butt. Follow the hot wires, and it will work.

https://guitarelectronics.com/wdu-hss5l11-01/

• Members
. . . It stopped working when I tried to adjust the height of the pickup (putting foam underneath so it can get closer to the strings. It's a bridge pickup so putting it in the middle may have to do with it's not working.

Top of the head guess: You broke a wire or stressed a solder joint when you took the pickup out to put foam under it. Now you have an intermittent connection.

Archived