Will veneer for beer

Freeman Keller

• Members

A few weeks ago I did a little project with forumite 6down1togo and put some walnut veneer on a couple of Fender style headstocks for him

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_4506-2.jpg Views:\t2 Size:\t158.4 KB ID:\t32257097","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32257097","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4506-2.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

I liked the results and we talked about doing some matching pickguards. I fooled around trying to laminate the veneer onto some scrap plastic p/g material - for several reasons I didn't like the results. The 6down came up with these really, er, cool wooden p/g's from some mail order house in China. Fortunately there is no intellectual property here and import tariffs haven't been imposed on pick guards (yet) - they cost him all of ten bucks each delivered to me.

They are made out of some sort of laminated wood (yes, plywood), possibly maple or birch or some Chinese wood. They are cut out on a cnc laser and then the power is turned way down and this really,er, cool paisley pattern was wood burned into the top ply. I guess if you were into the Age of Aquarius or liked your grandmother's wall paper or...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_4538-2.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t212.8 KB ID:\t32257098","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32257098","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4538-2.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

Since the veneer is about 15 thousands thick and I needed to get most of that wood burned stuff off I went to work with a sanding block

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_4539-2.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t156.2 KB ID:\t32257099","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32257099","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4539-2.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

Glued the veneer on and it looked kind of like this

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_4541-2.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t127.7 KB ID:\t32257100","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32257100","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4541-2.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

The darn laminate was really sensitive to humidity - one day I would go out to the shop and find it curled like a potato chip, the next day it would be flat. I think it will lay down and be fine when 6down screws it to his guitars. It was a hassle while I was shooting finish however, the lacquer would crack, I'd shoot some more, it would crack somewhere else. Finally got enough coats on, gave it a medium gloss polishing about like the heads were and, bingo

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_4559-2.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t169.2 KB ID:\t32257101","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32257101","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4559-2.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Oh, yeah, the title of the thread. Something about my pricing structure, you'll have to ask 6down for the details

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_4560-2.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t174.4 KB ID:\t32257104","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32257104","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4560-2.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4561-2.jpg","data-attachmentid":32257105}[/ATTACH]

The can on the right is a Northeast IPA which I hadn't had the pleasure of trying before. They are also sometimes called "cloudy ales". Very fruit forward, lots of citrus and pineapple in the finish, very refreshing. It will never replace a good northwest pale ale but its darn good after a hard day in the shop gluing veneer on anything that will hold still.

• Members

Man oh man … I can't wait to get those on the guitar! Freeman, you are the wizard of wood! Plus, I have the happy, reassuring memory of Granny's wallpaper just beneath the veneer. lol

I will get these guitars together post haste and post them up. I have had them sitting in my closet for a year hating the plain maple headstocks and bought every color pickguard under the sun trying to get the guitars to look right to me. Freeman nails it!

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the work you did on these. From one beer lover to another!

• Members

Well done! I've tried to make wood pickguards out of skinny luaun plywood with terrible results---those are classy-looking, like them a lot :thu:

I prefer malt over hops when it comes to beer, but the barter system is a beautiful thing.

Nice job, Freeman, and 6down, good for you!

Archived