Why does my emg 85 in the neck sound bad?

mbengs1

• Members

It's got too much output. and sounds a bit muddy. but the zakk wylde set is the 85 in the neck in the 81 in the bridge. The emg 81 on my les paul sounds fine but the emg 85 on the neck needs to be changed.

• Members

The magnets are different - the 81 is ceramic and the 85 alnico.

I prefer the sound of alnico magnets (as in Gibson's 490/498 combo which I have in my Les Paul) and find the ceramic to be somewhat sterile by comparison. It seems that you are experiencing the opposite effect.

• Members
Did you try adjusting heights yet?

Yeah it didn't matter. I think this emg 85 I have will make a great bridge pickup. I already have a dimarzio air Norton to pair with it I just don't have a guitar. The guitar will have to wait... indefinitely. I just have extra pickups so that doesn't bother me a bit.

• Members

Yeah it didn't matter. I think this emg 85 I have will make a great bridge pickup. I already have a dimarzio air Norton to pair with it I just don't have a guitar. The guitar will have to wait... indefinitely. I just have extra pickups so that doesn't bother me a bit.

isn't the air a passive p'up? your emg is an active p'up and uses totally different vol/tone pot values.

just sayin'...

• Members

You could try switching the pickup positions. 81 in the neck and 85 in the bridge? They may balance better that way. :idk:

Archived