CIJ neck pocket stamps - please tell me about them!

Phil O'Keefe

I recently picked up a used CIJ TL62B ('62 Custom Telecaster bound body) on Ebay to pair up with a late '85 MIJ Custom Tele neck, bridge and other parts I have.

Heres a picture of the neck pocket:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\ts-l1600 (8).jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t327.2 KB ID:\t32242287","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32242287","data-size":"full","title":"s-l1600 (8).jpg"}[/ATTACH]

What I'm wondering about is the meaning of some of the stamped numbers. I know what some of them mean. For example:

TL (Telecaster) 62 (model year) B (bound - IOW, a Custom)... and as I understand it, the -75 means it was originally 75,000 Yen (about $689 at current exchange rates). I also know that the CH signifies the original finish color, which in this case is Cherry.

Other parts of the stamps I'm less sure about. I don't know what DK-340 is for... :idk: does anyone know?

I also am not sure what the 050603 stamp is. Based on a pair of posts I read on another site, I suspect they might be a date code of year, month and day (June 3, 2005), but I'm not certain if that's true or not. Can anyone confirm that? I don't know the actual date of the body - the seller said he purchased it used in 2012, so I know it's not any more recent than that, but that's all I know.

Also, by any chance does anyone know...

1) When Fender Japan switched to alder bodies (instead of basswood) for the '62 Custom Telecasters? There's no doubt in my mind that this one is alder.

2) When Fender Japan switched the model name from the MIJ era TLC-62B to the current TL62B name?

If there's anywhere with good historical information about the MIJ / CIJ guitars that you know about, I'd appreciate a link.

Thanks for any and all help! :wave:

• Members

Think you're right on with the other numbers and that one might be a body part number or serial.

Not sure if it can be dated from it. The Made in Japan Strat I have has its date on the neck plate. Fender has always had a problem being consistent however.

Could that DK-34C be the neck type?

Think you're right on with the other numbers and that one might be a body part number or serial.

Not sure if it can be dated from it. The Made in Japan Strat I have has its date on the neck plate. Fender has always had a problem being consistent however.

Could that DK-34C be the neck type?

No, I don't think so - it's actually DK-340. I've seen that same stamp used on other examples of this same body style.

• Members

i have never removed the neck of my CIJ strat, so i don't know how the neck pocket looks like.

but my model is somewhat older, it has if i'm correct a '95 to '98 serial number

maybe i'll have a look at it, i should also check the shielding of the trem and springs anyway, cause i get sometimes noise when touching the strings....

not sure when i'll have time for it

i have never removed the neck of my CIJ strat, so i don't know how the neck pocket looks like.

but my model is somewhat older, it has if i'm correct a '95 to '98 serial number

maybe i'll have a look at it, i should also check the shielding of the trem and springs anyway, cause i get sometimes noise when touching the strings....

not sure when i'll have time for it

If you do get a chance, please snap a quick pic of your neck heel and the neck pocket - I'd appreciate it if you could post those whenever you find the time! :wave:

Yes, there's a 7 above the DK-340. There is also a 7 at the bottom of the neck pickup cavity, and a 1 at the bottom of the bridge pickup route.

What I'm most curious about is the 050603 - I think it might be a date in the Japanese format of year / month / day, which would mean it's a June 2005 body. That's the theory anyway... I saw another (verified) 2005 body in another thread offsite that had a similar code, and it also started with 05.

Archived