Identify this guitar for me? Please!

Proferser

• Members

Just picked up this guitar body and have no clue about where it's from or who made it. The seller said it was Japanese made around the 60's. And info on what guitar it could have been from, and can anyone identify what type of Pickups these would be? And information will be much appreciated, thanks!

Photos at: (I don't know how to embed photos :p )

https://ibb.co/fxDmyJ

https://ibb.co/i7URyJ

• Members

No idea about the brand or pickups but fitting a neck to it could be simple or a nightmare. Simple if it was built to the Fender "standard" which varies a bit, a nightmare if you have to create one from scratch. If you give me the measurements from the front of the body to the center of the bridge saddles and the width, depth and length of the neck pocket I could at least confirm whether a fender style neck might work. And until you can confirm whether you can buy or make a neck, I would not suggest putting any time or money into the body.

ps, before I forget my manners, Prof, welcome to HCEG

• Members

More then likely something out of TEISCO or Kawai. Not really the most playable of guitar, and usually sell for the 80 -100 USD range as a whole guitar. And Freeman is correct. Fitting a neck to that will be a chore, since it could be a short scale, a Gibson scale, a Fender scale.... Good luck.

• Members

Certainly in the Teisco mold but I don't think it is even quite up to that.

Routed for body end truss adjuster.

The central holes in the neck socket add to the mystery.

Looks like the base model of this one,"Satellite" without the pickup switching and headstock truss

http://i.imgur.com/Xz703wy.jpg

Maybe search similar names whatever a cheaper satellite would be? Telstar -- Sputnik? :)

• Members

With the measurement from the end of the guitar to the saddles we could at least guess. Assume that the neck to body joint is at the 16th fret, subtract a reasonable amount of compensation and run the fret position calculator in reverse (you know the fret location, let it calculate the scale length).

Then, if it s fender scale, does a generic neck fit (ie is the pocket to spec's)?

If the neck will fit, does the angle and overstand give playable action?

If so, what is the radius at the bridge? Can it be adjusted to match the neck or can the neck radius be changed?

Piece of cake

• Members

Thanks for all the replies guys, I bought it for $90 aud which isn't too bad. Im going to use the body to build a 12 string electric with a neck that I already have (which will hopefully fit in the body with some sanding) :)

• Members
Thanks for all the replies guys' date=' I bought it for $90 aud which isn't too bad. Im going to use the body to build a 12 string electric with a neck that I already have (which will hopefully fit in the body with some sanding) :)[/quote']

Keep us posted. And if I or anyone else here can help, just holler. I've built a few guitars, including a couple of acoustic 12 strings, and would be happy to help.

• Members
Im going to use the body to build a 12 string electric with a neck that I already have (which will hopefully fit in the body with some sanding) :)

I might make myself unpopular but I have to say this:)

I don't think that is the right thing to do.

Get it back as close to original as you can.

Find a pic for the original fret count, derive the scale length and find a close replacement. You almost have a complete vintage guitar already. Wiring, pups, trem and everything is ready to roll.

That old ply body socket may not be up to doubling the designed string tension either.

• Members

I agree with Chordite, but for a different reason. Assembling a 12 string guitar is not trivial - its certainly more than screwing a neck that you think will work to a body that is going to require modification to the neck pocket, a new bridge and tailpiece, new pickups and new wiring. I'm assuming you know how to get the geometry workable, will choose spacings that are playable, and can setup and intonate it.

Depending on strings and tuning, a twelve string has about 50% more tension than a sixer, the heads tend to be really heavy and they are a bitch to setup and intonate. Do your homework, make sure the geometry is spot on and that you know what you are taking on.

• Members

I have one of the same guitars with a single pickup. Its a branded import called Heit, likely made by Teisco. I checked the neck scale its an oddball 23.5" and has a zero fret.

If you're looking for a complete guitar with the neck I'll sell you mine ultra cheap. Its all fixed up and playable. The only mod I added was a decent Rickenbacker bridge but you can buy the unadjustable bar bridges for $10. It would be an "As Is' sale because its what you'd call a Toy Guitar. Parents would buy them as Christmas presents out of mail order catalogs to see if their kids had any musical talent. If a kid succeeded in tuning the instrument and playing a chord in pitch they were considered a musical genius. I played mine one time then let the strings rot on it. I hate throwing instruments away. Haven't run into any beginners to give the thing to so it just collects dust.

• Members
I have one of the same guitars with a single pickup. Its a branded import called Heit, likely made by Teisco. I checked the neck scale its an oddball 23.5" and has a zero fret.

If you're looking for a complete guitar with the neck I'll sell you mine ultra cheap. Its all fixed up and playable. The only mod I added was a decent Rickenbacker bridge but you can buy the unadjustable bar bridges for $10. It would be an "As Is' sale because its what you'd call a Toy Guitar. Parents would buy them as Christmas presents out of mail order catalogs to see if their kids had any musical talent. If a kid succeeded in tuning the instrument and playing a chord in pitch they were considered a musical genius. I played mine one time then let the strings rot on it. I hate throwing instruments away. Haven't run into any beginners to give the thing to so it just collects dust.

I have a teisco, ET-200 (very similar to the OPs guitar) and it too is an odd scale length. I don't recall what itis exactly but it's in the 23.5" ball park. It's different enough where a standard fender neck won't work even with heavy modification. It needed a new neck but I couldn't find anything that would work. I've been hanging on to it until I have time to make one from scratch.

Also, The bodies on those guitars are so thin, and are really really thin at the neck pocket. I doubt it could stand up to the pressure of a 12 string.

• Members

Since Proferser has not given us that measurement from the end of the body to the bridge there isn't any way to confirm the odd scale lengt, however if it was sold as a toy it makes sense that it was short.

I guess the advantage of converting it to a 12 string is that he will have to change the bridge and tail piece so he can put them where they belongs for whatever scale neck he has.

Archived