Red guitar, red car

• Members

A couple of years ago a friend asked me to build him a special guitar. He wanted an acoustic that looked like an ES-175 but didn't have the pickups. And it had to be red. Oh, and it had a couple of special features....

I got a call from him this morning asking if he could bring the guitar by - it needed strings and he wanted me to check it over. Here it is back on my work bench

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"redguitar2.jpg","data-attachmentid":32219626}[/ATTACH]

And here is what he was driving when he pulled up to the shop

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Redcar.jpg","data-attachmentid":32219627}[/ATTACH]

• Members
Nice! How has the guitar settled in?

The guitar has settled very nicely. Geometry is still spot on, action is good but I'll tweak it slightly, no dehydration issues. Still plays and sounds like I remember

hmmm i always wondered how this sound, without a soundhole. can it produce some volume?

This guitar was a complete experiment - it has characteristics of an archtop and a flat top, but looks like a lami top. I was totally winging it when we built it and was really wondering what it was going to sound like. The best I can say is that it sounds like a little archtop - that same quick attack and decay, mostly fundimentals, strong but not boomy bass, pretty well balanced. The f-holes still let air move in and out of the box - nothing says the hole has to be one round one in the middle. I had a very simple X brace (again, copied from an archtop) - the floating bridge means the top is driven more as a piston and less rocking.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't know why it sounds good, but it does.

Now if you want to hear something that really sounds good, that little red car at 8000 rpm just runs shivers up your spine

Archived