Does anyone remember this 80s portable practice amp?

phaeton

• Members

No pics, sorry. I can't find anything about this on the Internet so either I'm mis-remembering it, or it was super obscure.

Sometime in the late 80s or very early 90s I bought a guitar and amp from a friend. The guitar was a cheapie Harmony with the big chrome p90-ish looking single coils on it (one in neck position, one in 'middle', but no bridge). These guitars were sold in the JCPenny or Sears catalog.

With it, came a small practice amp and I don't know if it was a package deal with the guitar or picked up separately by my pot head friend. By small I mean it ran on C or D cell batteries (it also had a power adapter) and a 4" speaker, or smaller. It could also clip on the belt and had a headphone jack. Controls were Volume and Fuzz. I remember it being called a "G Blaster", but there's nothing at all that I can find. it was black plastic and the "G Blaster" face/decal was blue.

14 year old me thought the 'Fuzz' sound was the most wicked thing ever, but 44 year old me would like to dig up a schematic, build a copy and see what I think now. ;-)

Any leads, help, memories, stories or weird looks welcome.

Thanks

• Members

Marshall made some ,i have two a black one and a red one they keep disappearing and re appearing i`m looking around at the moment and i can`t see them anywhere so at the moment they have disappeared. i have posted pics of the black one on here at some point ,i wouldn`t say they sound any good or great maybe small and different which might be ok for recording a different sound. good luck finding yours

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marshall-MS2-Micro-Amp-Black/dp/B000BVS7WQ

• Members

My buddy had one back in the 80's that was small enough to carry in a guitar case. It was mounted in a 6" aluminum box with a speaker at one end/

Trying to think of others that existed back then. I know pignose were available bout bot ere sold through music stores. I don't think Pennys sold musical gear, they were mostly cloths and home goods. Montgomery Ward and Sears sold cheap musical gear. Not sure if sears was still selling musical gear through their catalog still by the 80's. 70's 60's for sure, but malls started to open in the late 70's and the big retailers dumped most of their mail order for direct sales. (Big mistake - if they only knew the internet would take its place) KMart and Toys R Us began selling toy guitars for Christmas too but I wouldn't exactly call them instruments.

The three big brands sold by them and were Teisco, Harmony and Dan Electro which were branded Silvertone. All three sold amps of various types but most of it wound up being sold in garage sales and flea markets. By the mid to late 70's up till the 2000's, Anyone with any kind of musical talent looking for something besides a pre school tory instrument would buy it from a music store. The stuff you found at big retailers were stocking stuffers and mostly unplayable. Not sure what kind of battery amp they might have included. Other then shopping for toys for my kids back then I wouldn't give them a second glance. I did use a battery powered amp from Radio Shack with a 4" speaker back then but again, anything form a retail store came straight from the orient and had no notable branding.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived