HELP!! Weak neck pickup signal!

MetalFam

• Members

I have a Synyster gates custom s and the neck pickup is weak. I checked the back electronic cavity and nothing seems to be wrong. There is a singular wire that if I move signal fixes. How ever if switch to the bridge pickup and switch back. signal cuts out. It eventually fixes itself but still I switch often.

Gear:

-Synyster gates custom S

-Sustainiac In neck

-Synyster gates Seymour Duncan invader in bridge

• Members

-Sustainiac In neck

While the Sustainiac's neck transducer is a "pickup" when switched that way it is a pretty poor one and is rarely used in that mode. Does the Sustainiac work in the the feedback mode? Have you replaced the the battery (Sustainiac suck battery power and when it dies you are really dead)? When installing a Sustainiac the manufacture cautions about certain wires that should not be near each other (its been a while since I installed one) - maybe moving the wires around gets them positioned in that no-no zone.

Also, now that I think of it, there are several push on connectors on the Sustainiac pcb - make sure all of those are tight.

IMG_3200_zps99xnmcbs.jpg

IMG_3197_zpssauwtxuk.jpg

• Members

http://www.sustainiac.com/troubleshoot.pdf

See page two. When I installed a Sustainiac I put a little d.c. voltmeter in the battery circuit so the player could make sure it was above 7.5 volts when he started the gig. We also made it very easy to change batteries (the guitar has an active bridge so it has two batteries - if one dies the gig is over)

IMG_3198_zpsewsoqzz3.jpg

• Members

I can't be much more helpful except to ask if this had been working correctly and somehow stopped. Obviously all the typical questions - did you do anything else, drop the guitar, yadda yadda. My experience was installing the one Sustainiac shown above - I learned a lot how it works and learned that it was pretty figity as far as getting the wiring correct.

I did get your PM's - again, I don't know what I can add. Even taking it to a tech is probably a waste of time unless he is familiar with the Sustainiac - I lost money on that install but I got a heck of an education.

I'm going to ask once again, did you go to page 2 of that PDF that I linked about trouble shooting the sustainer? Wiggle and tug on every wire - be very certain that the ring terminal of the output jack is switching the sustainer to ground. Calling the folks who make the Sustainiac might be helpful - I had a question and they answered it for me.

• Members

What I meant about feedback mode is the sustainer switched on - in that case the bridge transducer if feeding energy back into the strings. When Its turned off the transducer acts like an ordinary (passive) pickup. On the Vee we had a standard three way selector switch (that could be your problem)

That last comment about the E(D) string has to be a coincidence - it isn't related to the operation of any of the electronics.

• Members

I myself have installed as Sustainiac system on an Alvarez Dana, and every headache Freeman has described, is true.

You did say that it happens when you wiggle a wire. I assume the red wire you show in the pic? If that's the case, take it to someone who knows how to solder, and get it resoldered. Everything I have seen so far, screams a loose wire.

Archived