HNGD - Number 12 is in the house

t_e_l_e

• Members

my dano 12 string arrived finally after it stuck over two weeks in the customs office.

it is really fun to play. i love the 12 string sound, but it is a special purpose guitar. you cannot play everything with it, but if you are in need of that sound, it really chimes.

compared to my older righty DC59 it is very similar, but it has small differences which are great improvements

e.g. the bridge is fully adjustable, for the dc59 i installed an allparts bridge, which is a hassle to intonate, cause the strings are in the way for the screwdriver.

the new bridge is really great

it has screwable strap buttons which can be easily replaced with schaller straplocks. compared to the plastic ones which can't be removed on the dc59

the jack for the cable is also not on the top anymore, its at the place where a tele has it, which i think is also an improvement.

only one down side, the volume and tone knob are cheap and are looking not to fit the guitar. i already ordered some tele like chrome ones

i'm in honeymoon and even played some bon jovi :)

oh and tuning 12 strings is annoyingly much more effort than just 6 :D

fca8047ae03c3b6bb9d5ff0ef318fb3a.thumb.jpg.db070d1cd8c39cbbd673f77b64fb6f00.jpg

Congrats on a new 12er day!! Are they the concentric pots for vol/tone?

From what I can tell from his picture, the current ones don't look like they have the stacked / dual concentric knobs. I have a DC-12 from the late '90s, and it does have the stacked controls.

Here's a picture of my friend Zak Claxton playing my DC-12...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"zak_dano_12.jpg","data-attachmentid":32207536}[/ATTACH]

Congrats Tele! I'm glad you were able to get a lefty! :philthumb:

Looks like the bridge on yours is similar to the one on mine (IIRC, it's a Gotoh), which I really like a lot. It's totally adjustable for individual string height and intonation, with six of the strings anchoring behind the bridge, and the other six going through the body.

It's hard to believe, but I've had that guitar for just about twenty years now. It is still totally fulfilling all of my 12 string electric needs. I would have thought for sure I'd have picked up a Ric 12 by now, but that little Dano is so good, I haven't been able to justify the expense of a 660/12, and that's about the only thing I'd ever even consider replacing it with.

How is the neck shape / profile on yours? Mine is fairly thin, not too narrow, and kind of flat, and it's really comfortable to play for a 12 string.

• Members

the controls are just a single volume and tone knob like on a tele. but the buttons looking kinda awful.

the neck width and shape is exactly the same as on the DC59, which is indeed really comfortable, not too thick and not too thin, its on the thinner side, but enough so you feel that you have something in your hand.

as the white cover on the headstock suggests, there must be the trustrod underneeth. not sure if the DC59 has a trussrod, but if, it must be on the opposite side to adjust. but the neck is stable and does not need any adjustments so far...

the allparts bridge for the six string is adjustable, but the screws are so stupid placed, that you need to loose the strings to open it, move it in the right direction, and tune again to see if it was enough, its quite a PITA to do, the bridge of the 12 string is as you describe phil, and is much better

you can not see in the picture (and most of the pictures of these 12strings model) but it has an "f"-hole on the top side of the body, which your DC12 and my DC59 do not have

for about $500 you really get a lot of guitar for your money, let see how tuning stable it will be, once the strings are broken in, cause again tuning a 12string is a hassle :)

• Members

Congrats on your new 12. On your last thread when it was still "incoming" I remarked that I'm quite happy with my Dano Semi-Hollow 12. They just seem to "get you there" better and for less cash than most 12s. My other 3 are a MIK Takamine/Jasmine 12 A/E, an SG 12 and a 360/12, but I'd reach for the Dano before the others for both comfort and tone. My second choice is that SG.

• Members

I have one of these in a pseudo cherry burst color. Nice guitar for the coin. Haven't picked it up much recently as there's an issue with the selector switch (I think). One pickup is dead & ive been too lazy to dig into it to figure it out.

• Members

I had a U2 RI back in the 90's. It was 99 dollar brand new. I didn't love it, but it was cool and wish I had kept it now.

Mine was in a color called Beatnik Burgundy, like in the pic.

I did a clean out to make room for more guitars.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"mgeoaa1mopr6chgvtzjl.jpg","data-attachmentid":32211392}[/ATTACH]

Archived