HOW TO INSTALL A SINGLE-COIL PICKUP IN A TELECASTER ???

KevinTJH

• Members

First of all, I've stuffed up.

I bought a Lace Sensor Blue single-coil pickup to install in a standard Telecaster. Then I found this "Singlebucking" solution, which involves cutting off the old pickup from the baseplate and cutting off the ears on the new pickup.

http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/singlebucking.pdf

To some extent it wasn't such a bad decision because Lace Sensor doesn't make the same pickup model to be Tele-fitted anyway so if I can get this working, it'd be pretty awesome!

I definitely have to mention that I have only ever replaced a single humbucker on a guitar once so any advice given has to be as comprehensive as possible to a newbie.

Do note that this guitar has TONS of LEDs fitted through it so that's why there are lots of extra wires here and there (which I have to be careful not to damage by accident). This guitar is also Acrylic as you will notice in the photos.

Could someone help explain step-by-step what I need to do based on the photos below?

The back of the stock pickup (I assume the all standard teles have the wires looped through the middle hole?).

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1189.photobucket.com\/albums\/z437\/KevinTJH\/D4105C97-C683-49F0-B82A-92A04C6F9BD3_zpstd1mwifj.jpg"}[/img2]

Here's the front shot of the stock pickup. For some odd reason, those 3 wires were simply just "tucked" underneath the pickup so I simply just pulled them out.

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1189.photobucket.com\/albums\/z437\/KevinTJH\/9A245491-47B8-4896-B914-0352739617D0_zps08ddnijl.jpg"}[/img2]

That red wire (where my thumb is) is the only wire coming from the stock pickup, which branches out into 2 wires. The 2 wires were soldered onto 2 different points on the toggle switch and NOTHING else. Is it normal for a pickup to not be soldered on volume pots?

Not sure if it's worth mentioning but the Volume knob is a Push/Pull pot for turning on the LEDs, it's got nothing to do with any pickups functionality. The toggle-switch is just a standard 3-way.

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1189.photobucket.com\/albums\/z437\/KevinTJH\/141F83E6-DD99-40DD-B940-58238988D0D0_zpsmh23chz7.jpg"}[/img2]

Here's the Lace Sensor pickup. The ears will be cut off soon to fit. The Green and White wires are "soldered" together so there are technically only 2 wires to solder?

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1189.photobucket.com\/albums\/z437\/KevinTJH\/EA3DE5B9-F976-4503-BF82-19070E393349_zpsurwracyn.jpg"}[/img2]

Last but not least, that Blue wire must be the Ground? It was not soldered onto anything, it was simply just directly under the bridge. There were no grounding issues before so I'm assuming I should just leave that as it is?

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1189.photobucket.com\/albums\/z437\/KevinTJH\/78F19761-0867-41C1-B2E0-E758108D971E_zpswb9sku5n.jpg"}[/img2]

Based on the photos, how should I proceed from here?

Many thanks in advance for any help I can get!

• Members

The first thing we need to do, is figure the way to mount the 2 screw pickup, to a three screw plate. Part of the reason a tele bridge sounds the way it does, is the brass plate under the pickup.

Once that's figured out, let's look at the wiring of the pickup. If I remember rightly, the Sensor is a single coil, so you should have a chassis ground, which I believe is the blue wire. a pickup ground, and a hot. Since you are NOT using a standard tele baseplate, the blue wire needs to go to ground. The white wire, will also need to go to ground, which leaves the red wire to go to the switch. If assembled, and in the middle position, the 2 pickups sound out of phase, reverse the red and white wires.

Hope that helps.

• Members

Thanks for the response, badpenguin.

If you take a look at that the first link, the single-coil pickup can be glued onto the plastic piece using epoxy once the ears have been sawed off. It will essentially become a “Tele pickup” if you now what I mean.

Unless there will be further complications with the magnet and the brass plate?

Keep in mind, I know a lot less than you might think so you may have to specify exactly where each wire goes haha.

So if I’m understanding this correctly,

the BLUE wire stays untouched?

where does the WHITE/GREEN wire get soldered onto?

does the RED wire get soldered into the exact same spot where the stock pickup RED wire was?

• Members

According to the wiring diagram on Lace's page, the white and green wires are soldered together to a ground point on your electronics, generally the back of one of the pots. The orange wire is the hot from the sensor and goes to the switch. If the blue wire goes to the bridge it is a "string ground" - basically drains off any stray signals or hum that might be picked up by the strings or your body. In the diagram it is shown as a green wire with a lug on the end that would go under a bridge screw

http://www.lacemusic.com/pdf/2.pdf

• Members

The blue and white wires are GROUND. solder to the back of the pot. The red wire goes to the selector switch. AND, like I said, since you aren't using a Lace in the neck position, you may have the pickups out of phase in the middle position on the switch. It happens when different brands of pickups are used together. No big deal, just switch the red and the white wire. ie: Red to ground, white to switch.

• Members

Thank you so much for all the advice! It was so much simpler than I thought! I just followed all your instructions and it works like a charm.

I definitely would not ever attempt to mount a single-coil onto a Tele baseplate again though because of the amount of cutting, sanding and gluing required.

I had to super glue 6 guitar picks together to create a gap!

A95A31DF-CFDC-4917-8A8F-02F6FE672463_zpssf5es3ma.jpg

420489DA-D7A0-4AE6-9885-2110970BB28E_zpsjp95t1a3.jpg

• Members

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to this website and I'm not sure how to use it so apologies for any mistakes or whatever. At the moment I am "upgrading" my acoustic guitar with a p90 pickup and a piezo disc, I was researching potentiometers and I really wanted to find something like the mid frequency control on my EQ distortion pedal, I found out the pot was a C50K pot, I later found out these are usually only used for active pickups, nevertheless I was wondering how this pot would affect the sound of a passive pickup?

p.s I understand what a C50K pot is and I've realised the one in my pedal is "stacked" and I was wondering if this also affected the sound, and what the worinwfor it is.

Thank you:cool03::D

• Members
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to this website and I'm not sure how to use it so apologies for any mistakes or whatever. At the moment I am "upgrading" my acoustic guitar with a p90 pickup and a piezo disc, I was researching potentiometers and I really wanted to find something like the mid frequency control on my EQ distortion pedal, I found out the pot was a C50K pot, I later found out these are usually only used for active pickups, nevertheless I was wondering how this pot would affect the sound of a passive pickup?

p.s I understand what a C50K pot is and I've realised the one in my pedal is "stacked" and I was wondering if this also affected the sound, and what the worinwfor it is.

Thank you:cool03::D

Welcome Manni!

Go back to the Electric Guitars title page, see the New Topic button? Hit that and start a new thread, you'll get a lot more action that way.

Your project has some special issues---nothing insurmountable---I can help some, and there are others here who can help more.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived