Baritone for doom/sludge: Squier Jazzmaster or Eastwood Sidejack?

RedfoxRambler

• Members

Hi all, pretty new to the forum and wondering about a first time baritone buy. I've pretty well narrowed it down to a Squier Jazzmaster or Eastwood Sidejack, and in either case I'm planning to swap the bridge soapbar/p90 for a humbucker (probably DMZ Tone Zone for deeper bass response). I might want to occasionally use it for "normal" baritone stuff (e.g. creepy western twang), but overall I'd like to use it for a deep, thick, heavy-ish sludge/doom/stoner project a la Pelican, Thou, Pallbearer. The only reason I'd opt for the humbucker is I'm planning to do a one-man-band thing where I play kick and snare with my feet while singing and playing guitar, and I need the guitar to fill the whole spectrum on its own. Was going to have a one octave down doubler to get even more low end. Also playing through an Ampeg PF-20t bass head which actually sounds really good on guitar as well, with Sansamp Paradriver on front end.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these guitars, especially as it might relate to heavier/sludgey music? Also any experience with the p90 version of the DMZ Tone Zone as compared to the full size, since that's what I'd need to put in the Eastwood Sidejack? Thanks a ton!

• Members

I've thought about getting that Jazzmaster myself, but I'm more into the vintage baritione sounds, like stuff from Ennio Morricone or Glen Campbell's "Witchita Lineman", not necessarily that song, but the sound that clearly kicks in at 1:46

[video=youtube;4qoymGCDYzU]

For doom, I'd probably be more tempted to go for something from the PRS SE line. Their build quality is good, and what they might lack on the chimier end of the tone spectrum on their regular SE guitars, would not be as much of a concern for the lower register and higher gain.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...k8pkCh2EvA_AEA AYASAAEgJ0mvD_BwE

And just noticed their baritione SE now has coil split too. How cool is that?

• Members

For baritone you can also look at 30" guitars like the Danelectro (original baritone) and the Bass VI. Get a Bass VI and put a SD JBjr in the bridge and you're set. D'addario makes a set of Jerry Jones baritone and Bass VI strings for the longer scale.

Archived