The top twenty LPs (albums) on Reverb right now...

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

I have a vinyl copy of almost everything on that list, from my teens.

Most are in really fine shape too.

When folks were ditching out the vinyl albums, I just tucked mine away. I would pick up like a new album every weeks and did this for a long while. Then I did the same when cd's became popular. Sometimes I'd pick up more. There was a small record store in town that had a new release section every Tuesday. They had those new releases for under 10 buck.

I bet I have 1500 vinyl LPs and 3000 cd's.

These days, there's not many "record stores" out there, so if you want something it's a place like Amazon, or at a show.

Not the same imo.

Call me old, but I want something physical with my purchase.

Buying music became one big PITA.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tPauls2017horizontal.jpg Views:\t2 Size:\t414.1 KB ID:\t32205723","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32205723","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

Haha, I read "LPs" as "Les Pauls."

It's not you. It's me.

I like the way you think! :lol::philthumb:

You're right though - it's a guitar forum - I should have said "albums" instead of LPs. :0

There's only three of them I've bought or would buy today. (won't say which three).

I just looked at the list again, and IMHO, there's not a single bad album on that list - in fact, I'd be happy to sit down and listen to any of them from start to finish, and I'd enjoy doing so. They're all very good records, and some are bona-fide classics IMO.

YMMV.

• Members

I saw that from an e-mail I got from them. I've pretty much owned every one of those albums in one form or another, with the exception of Aja. The late 70s was of course one of the many time periods where cuts from hit albums were driven into the ground with airplay. I'm afraid I've had enough FM play of Steely Dan to last me my lifetime, even though I've often heard that they were such a top notch band that their music deserves to be revisited.

• Members

The only vinyl I do not own from that list...And I mean vinyl from original release...Is the Prince album, the MJ album, and the Dire Straits album. The Dire Straits album was, I believe, released on cd and vinyl and I bought the cd as I'd just made the transition.

• Members

When recordings from 40~50 years ago are still the most popular being collected it tells you there is a really serious problem with the music industry.

Either the stars of the past set bars too high for the young musicians today or they don't want to be bothered trying.

Its not the first time music has seen the dark ages however. Even the Great masters had to whore themselves out to the rich in order to be able to pursue their craft full time. Art flourishes when people are experiencing good economic times and have cash to splurge on things beyond the basic human needs. The music tended to be generational and targeted the most likely audiences to buy the music which was typically the young. That all ended with the internet and digital music. I don't think the generational trends of the past are going to return and the marketing of music wont be monopolized by a few studios like it was in the past.

The reason those albums remain popular is because they are a tangible solid object with a story in back of them. People attempt to give them greater value then the few pennies of plastic and paper they are made of. They don't sound better then digital versions and thay surely aren't more durable. Its the fact you have something physical to hold and view that gives them value as a collectable item.

Selling Digital is likely trying to sell bottled air to people. Unless they hold a physical copy they can touch and feel it doesn't have the same value to them. The reasons go very deep, primordial in nature. Man has always clung to physical objects and was often buried with them but we all know you don't come into this world with anything and you don't leave with anything.

Maybe the electronic pulses that comprise a digital recording are actually closer to what's beyond this life then a piece of vinyl made from oil. There again, they say oil comes from trapped animal and plant matter that was trapped below sediment and fermented for millions of years. Maybe we unknowingly value that vinyl because it' comes from the remnants living matter like its paper cover that used to be living wood.

I saw that from an e-mail I got from them. I've pretty much owned every one of those albums in one form or another, with the exception of Aja. The late 70s was of course one of the many time periods where cuts from hit albums were driven into the ground with airplay. I'm afraid I've had enough FM play of Steely Dan to last me my lifetime, even though I've often heard that they were such a top notch band that their music deserves to be revisited.

A lot of people consider Aja to be their high point, and it's an amazing record... but if you're going to revisit their material. my recommendation would be to start with The Royal Scam instead. There's tons of great songs, and great arrangements with lots of cool guitar parts to explore... :wave:

• Members

I like the LP's played by the April Wine band. (late 70's)

The curly headed guy and the lead singer could really tear it up.

I saw Brian Greenwood talk about his Custom

how he had the frets redone and it became his magic guitar

The last time I went to an April Wine performace was at a showbar. Sitting near the back of the room, I was hearing the three LPs through the three Marshall half-stacks blended through the PA.

I went up to the front of the stage where I could hear the individual amplifiers and it sounded great.

In keeping with the actual premise of the thread...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"April_Wine_-_Electric_Jewels.jpg","data-attachmentid":32212976}[/ATTACH]

• Members

As an 'older guy' I've had many of these on vinyl, tape and CD from childhood on. As someone approaching my mid-40s, I still love it all the same.

However, it should be noted that you can pretty much stream any album that's ever been made on youtube now. Is it legal? probably not. But nonetheless, what a time to be alive!

Archived