NGD! Epiphone LP Standard

mbengs1

• Members

I bought this yesterday. and I like it a lot. It sounds like a Gibson les paul standard but not exactly of course. but it does the LP standard well. Sounds great for jazz too. The picture isn't so clear but here it is. I am planning to put the Gibson 498t and 490r pickups soon. I wonder how it would sound but I think it well be a bit darker. The pickups on this one sound more like the burstbucker of Gibson.

• Members

Before I even read the post I wondered what kind of pickups you will put in. Do yourself a favor and play it for a while and find out what it can do.

You compare the sound to a Gibson so it must be good for something.

Nice looking guitar by the way and thanks for the pic

• Members
Needs black speed knobs.

I'll have to buy online for black speed knobs. But I'm the type of guy who will take care of the most important thing which is what pickups to put in that guitar. I was thinking of getting the burstbucker pros so it will sound much closer to a Gibson.

• Members

I'll have to buy online for black speed knobs. But I'm the type of guy who will take care of the most important thing which is what pickups to put in that guitar. I was thinking of getting the burstbucker pros so it will sound much closer to a Gibson.

Just looking around on youtube, I kinda like the Pearly Gates series. Alnico 2 makes 'em real smooth.

• Members

First you said

. . . I am planning to put the Gibson 498t and 490r pickups soon. I wonder how it would sound but I think it well be a bit darker. The pickups on this one sound more like the burstbucker of Gibson.

Now you say

. . . I was thinking of getting the burstbucker pros so it will sound much closer to a Gibson.

If the guitar already sounds like a Gibson, why do you want to try and make it sound like a Gibson? How much "more" is "more like a Gibson"? How close is "close"? Burstbucker pros will be slightly hotter than normal burstbuckers due to Alnico 5 magnets but that's about all. Personally I don't think it would be worth the trouble to make the swap but it's your time and money.

• Members

It already sounds 80% like a Gibson LP standard with burstbuckers to my ears. But It can be improved further with nice pickups I believe. I was impressed with the sound but you still get what you pay for. The pickups still sound like stock pickups on a low priced guitar but it does very well.

• Members
Before I even read the post I wondered what kind of pickups you will put in. Do yourself a favor and play it for a while and find out what it can do.

You compare the sound to a Gibson so it must be good for something.

Nice looking guitar by the way and thanks for the pic

I have a set of 498t and 490r pickups from my Gibson custom. I might put that in there but I'll have to think about it. The stock pickups sounds pretty decent for epiphone. It sounds like a motorcycle. best way I could describe it :)

• Members

If I had to describe the pickups, i'd say it sounds like a Dimarzio PAF pro. just a regular paf sound designed to cut enough to be heard through a mix. It sounds like 1870's to me. weird description but it's accurate. :)

• Members

The thing about the Burstbucker Pros is that you need a fairly resonant guitar to soak up their vibe and get the most out of them. So if your guitar sounds like everything is coupling well, go for it, but if not, the BB Pros can have too much presence and sound like they are sitting on the top of the guitar. One reason, besides musical styles, that I suggested the 496R/500T is that they can be more forgiving of the substrate. I had great success with a set of those in a Yamaha SBG700S after a set of Duncan '59/Pearly Gates was a total fail. I've put a pair of BB Pros in an Epi G-400 DLX (trying to imitate the second version of the Gibson SG Diablo) which need to come back out for the reasons I describe, but OTOH, your likelihood of success with them on an Epi LP is better. The last time I upgraded the p'ups on an Epi LP Ultra II to some DiMarzio DP103s, I wished I hadn't bothered because the enhancement over the improved Epiphone ProBuckers was not particularly discernible.

Archived