Guitar amp enclosure out of metal?

idwelder88

• Members

I bought a 6505+ 112 combo from a guy that attempted to turn it into a head/cab configuration. He was no woodworker and I am a welder by trade, but definitely no electricion, so I was wondering if anyone has any idea on whether or not I could make a head enclosure out of metal and have it be safe for the electronics and myself when I plug it in?

• Members

Yes, just make sure it is grounded to the third pin of your power cord (and the receptacle is grounded). The metal chassis of every amplifier is grounded and is safe. Actually having a big huge grounded box around all the electronics will shield them from outside interference. Gonna be a bitch to carry to a gig however.

• Moderators

There are plenty of metal head enclosures on the market, like the Orange 'Terror' heads, so there is your proof of concept. Keep in mind that the metal enclosure may conduct the heat of the transformers, so it might get warmer than would be comfortable if not properly vented. Were you planning on steel or aluminum?

• Members

The orange heads gave me the idea, I guess my post should have just asked how to do it safely. I plan on using stainless steel and tig welding it. Once it’s done it will stay planted in the house, so no need to worry about gigging.

Archived