What's your favorite pickup ?

mbengs1

• Members

Toyota Tundra:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Tundra.jpg","data-attachmentid":32203193}[/ATTACH]

As far as guitar pickups, Duncan P-Rails:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"P_Rail.jpg","data-attachmentid":32203194}[/ATTACH]

Toyota Tundra:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Tundra.jpg","data-attachmentid":32203193}[/ATTACH]

As far as guitar pickups, Duncan P-Rails:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"P_Rail.jpg","data-attachmentid":32203194}[/ATTACH]

I still haven't tried the P-Rails, but I have to admit I find them intriguing.

For humbuckers, I really like the sound of the Gibson 57 Classics. For Strat-style single coils, I have some Abigail Ybarra hand-wounds in one of my guitars that I really like a lot.

I'm also a big fan of P90s, as well as the work of some of the custom pickup folks like Curtis Novak and Jason Lollar.

• Members

I actually don't have a favorite pick up. It all depends on the tones I am trying to achieve.

I have Gibson with Hummbuckers, 57 classics MHS and 490/498's, as well as P90's

I have tele's and strats with traditional pups one strat with lace pups.

Rick's toasters are nice, but rather weak, and I like there modern pups just as much.

Have an older PRS with what the called Dragons, there was not a lot of love for these pups out there, but they sound great to me.

I have a couple of Gretsch guitar one has the Hi Filter Tron the other has TV Jones Power Trons.

Sold a Guild with Dynasonics, but they were cool too.

For me it's a combination of guitar, electronics, effects, and amp, and the tips of my fingers.

Good thread topic though, and it should be ongoing for ever, as we refine our craft and tones.

I had a no name Les Paul back in the 70's and dropped in a Dimarzio PAF and Super Distortion. It made the guitar better, but was really a waste.

What I personally don't care for is a pick up that crazy hot, or an amp that has a crazy amount of gain. Too much sizzle.

• Members

What I personally don't care for is a pick up that crazy hot, or an amp that has a crazy amount of gain. Too much sizzle.

I have a les paul custom with EMG's. unfortunately both pickups are designed to be bridge pickups. I just purchased a dimarzio super 2 on ebay and I will replace the emg85 on the neck with that. so it will be emg 81 in the bridge and the dimarzio on the neck. I hope they match up.

• Members

I have a les paul custom with EMG's. unfortunately both pickups are designed to be bridge pickups. I just purchased a dimarzio super 2 on ebay and I will replace the emg85 on the neck with that. so it will be emg 81 in the bridge and the dimarzio on the neck. I hope they match up.

Put the Super 2 in the bridge and get a PA 36th Anniversary

DP223for the neck.

[video=youtube;Ct7Wuwv48CY]

[video=youtube;7s2n4dUVf_Q]

[video=youtube;CmwZtMrKZn0]

• Members

I've got a large collection of guitars, but really don't consider myself much of an expert on pickups to where I can say "which is my favorite".

But of the ones I've had quite a bit of experience with, I'm a fan of Texas Specials, both for Strats and Teles. (but have no great love for the Tex/Mex)

My favorite Gibson pickup is the BB1 & BB2 combo. I'm an odd duck in that I prefer the 490T over the 498T (prefer the more classic rock tone over the hard rock tone)

The DiMarzio Tone Zone can make for one pretty nice and round and yet still vibey bridge HB in the right guitar.

T.V. Jones Classic p'ups are sweet in a good Gretsch.

And although I used to loathe EMGs, that was only when my experience was limited to the 81 (I don't play metal), but the 85 changed my mind about them since they are less HiFi and more bluesy. One of these days I want to try a David Gilmour loaded PG in a Strat.

The mini-hum in my Firebird are very cool, the mini-hums in my Gibson SG Special 70s Tribute are a joke, because they voiced them to where their sound is barely discernible from standard HBs.

One of my GAS Man missions; however, is to eventually get some Lollars installed on a few guitars. Until then, I still consider myself to be a bit of a plebe.

My experience with swapping p'ups has been about 50/50 win/fail. Sometimes you just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and other times you just realize that the manufacturer had the resources to voice the p'ups to the guitar's construction better than you can by grabbing aftermarkets off the shelf.

How'd I do?

smiley-wink

I actually don't have a favorite pick up. It all depends on the tones I am trying to achieve.

(snip)

Rick's toasters are nice, but rather weak, and I like there modern pups just as much.

(snip)

For me it's a combination of guitar, electronics, effects, and amp, and the tips of my fingers.

Excellent points - all. :philthumb:

I really do like a wide variety of different guitars and pickups. Sonic variety is very useful to me.

The Hi Gain pups in my Ric 610 are also surprisingly cool - they don't quite nail the sound of Toasters, but if you turn them down a bit, they come really close, plus they're great rock pickups too, which has surprised quite a few players over the years.

• Members
I like Dimarzio Superdistortions.

Carvin AP11 is extraordinary. Also like 70s strat grey bottoms

I have two Bolts that used to be way plinky so I learned to be less plinky which is kinda working as far as that goes.

Still, I wouldn't use the extraordinary word in reference to AP 11s. lol

Super Distortions in the hands of Frank Gambale and Scott Henderson if IIRC (maybe was Duncans) ; Awesome.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
But currently, ironically, I'm digging the middle silver Lace Sensor in a GFS build Strat I made awhile ago.

Np74Uzv.jpg

I have one start with Lase Sensor pickups in it. It was the last strat I bought sometime in the late 80's or early 90's.

Archived