NGD for me! :)))

mbengs1

• Members

I came from the store near my place that sells Ibanez and I got a Ibanez RG350ZB-WK. I setup the thing to perfection and I have to say it plays and sounds great! It has reasonable about of burr, and the thing performs as well as thousand dollar priced guitars. The nut is a little higher on the bass side as opposed to the treble side.

• Members

Ibanez makes some nice play guitars.

If I did and Ibanez, it probably would have been this JEM

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","height":"491","title":"2000?cb=20160714162807.jpg","width":"1618","data-attachmentid":32200015}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Congratulations and Happy New Guitar Day :thu:.

. . . The nut is a little higher on the bass side as opposed to the treble side.

It's not that uncommon for the nut to be slightly higher on the bass side. If the difference is particularly pronounced it might be a slight issue. That model has a locking nut. Is it also height adjustable? Even if it isn't a qualified tech can correct it with minimal trouble.

• Members

It's not that uncommon for the nut to be slightly higher on the bass side. If the difference is particularly pronounced it might be a slight issue. That model has a locking nut. Is it also height adjustable? Even if it isn't a qualified tech can correct it with minimal trouble.

No, it's not height adjustable, the nut. But I can adjust the height of the bridge to kinda make up for the nut.

• Members
No' date=' it's not height adjustable, the nut. But I can adjust the height of the bridge to kinda make up for the nut. [/quote']

Actually, no you can't. The bridge and nut are two different things. No amount of adjusting the bridge will make the nut lower or higher.

• Members

Gibson specs are 0.015 high E and 0.030 low

Fender specs are 0.020 high E and 0.020 low

StewMac specs are 0.010 high E and 0.024 low

Erlewine's specs are 0.009 high E and 0.015 low

Ibanez doesn't give any specs for their nuts

Pick the one you like

• Members
Gibson specs are 0.015 high E and 0.030 low

Fender specs are 0.020 high E and 0.020 low

StewMac specs are 0.010 high E and 0.024 low

Erlewine's specs are 0.009 high E and 0.015 low

Ibanez doesn't give any specs for their nuts

Pick the one you like

I typically go for 0.010 high E and 0.020 low E. YMMV. The OP may simply not have noticed the difference in nut height on his other guitars. My bet is there's nothing--or very little--wrong, but the guitar could also have been poorly set up.

• Members

It's a locking nut right? Check to see if there's a shim. Dan Erlewine notes a Floyd Rose type nut can have both the E strings, big and small, .010 (average height) above the height of the frets as the strings sit in the bottom of the nut slots.

Archived