NBD

thatsbunk

• Members

I've owned an Epiphone ES-339 for some time now, but haven't been spending much time with it as I've been favoring my other guitars that have Bigsby's on them. So I decided to do something about it.

I was debating about which model Bigsby to use: B3, B5 or, B7.

I eliminated the B5 & B7 as I would have had to either remove or cover up the tailpiece studs, or use a Vibramate mounting system with them. While the Vibramate is a good, non invasive way to mount a Bigsby, the problems I've found on most stop tail guitars is the roller bar winds up too close to the bridge, creating too steep of a break angle. I've installed a B5 & Vibramate on a Les Paul copy, & it wouldn't return to pitch, even with a roller bridge (I have a Vibramate & B5 on my blacktop Jaguar & it works fine, as the stop tail sits a bit further back than most tune-o-matics).

Anyway, I decided to go with a B3 and a Towner Bar install with their hinge plate adaptor. Well worth the money IMO... It took longer to restring the guitar then to do the actual install. Plus it's totally reversible if you decide a Bigsby isn't for you or if you want to sell your guitar later.

I would highly recommend it for any tune-o-matic / stop tail guitar.

OaySMu7.jpg

OZqE4zs.jpg

• Members

I'm curious why you wouldn't use a roller bridge with a vibrato?

Dunno... Never had reason to I guess. This is the 4th Bigsby'd guitar I've owned (Jag, Artcore, LP copy & this one). the only one I ever had a problem with tuning stability has been the LP copy & that had a roller bridge. I think that was more because of the break angle though.

Then again I'm not a dive bomber or don't do crazy bendy Neil Young stuff.

Here's the others (don't have the LP copy anymore);

jo5vHG9.jpg

9YKyT9I.jpg

SUgxjJJ.jpg

• 8 months later...

Archived