choosing pickups for guitar

mbengs1

• Members

Lately I've made some pickup purchases that I did by just balancing what pickups make good pairs. I combined the dimarzio fred with the transition neck. the evolution with the virtual vintage heavy blues 2, the super distortion with Seymour Duncan ssl-5 custom. I was just using gut feel to make combinations of pickups I've never heard of. I think it turned out fine. Am I choosing pickups right? I do like the sound I got with all of them. But maybe I should just consult the web before buying pickups and making weird combinations ?

• Members
Lately I've made some pickup purchases that I did by just balancing what pickups make good pairs. I combined the dimarzio fred with the transition neck. the evolution with the virtual vintage heavy blues 2, the super distortion with Seymour Duncan ssl-5 custom. I was just using gut feel to make combinations of pickups I've never heard of. I think it turned out fine. Am I choosing pickups right? I do like the sound I got with all of them. But maybe I should just consult the web before buying pickups and making weird combinations ?

Asked and answered.

• Members
the only real 'rules' are:

match approximate output

Yes for most requirements across all genre. I think matching outputs would be dependent on usage and far less critical. From bratty thrash to making an album, use anything you need right there.

• Members

Depends on the guitar, but Leo Fender made all the right choices for you back in the 50's, as did Ted McCarty at Gibson.smiley-wink

Ted and Leo perfected the electric guitar much the way Antonio Stradivari did with the violin.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"p1_uw5uqzzoz_so.jpg","data-attachmentid":32194170}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"57_fen_strat_1.jpg","data-attachmentid":32194168}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"$_86.jpg","data-attachmentid":32194169}[/ATTACH]

• Moderators

frankly, Mikeo, neither Ted nor Leo 'perfected' the electric guitar, or there wouldn't be so many variants. I mean, gee, Strats have humbuckers now; I have a Tele with P90s...there is no such thing as perfect, really, because it is a very subjective topic.

Bengs likes to mix and match, and he has done several different combos, and as long as they work for him, then why not. I've occasionally [read: rarely] moved, swapped and replaced p-ups, but I generally buy guitars because I like how they sound...so why mess around? But to each their own.

• Members
frankly, Mikeo, neither Ted nor Leo 'perfected' the electric guitar, or there wouldn't be so many variants. I mean, gee, Strats have humbuckers now; I have a Tele with P90s...there is no such thing as perfect, really, because it is a very subjective topic.

Bengs likes to mix and match, and he has done several different combos, and as long as they work for him, then why not. I've occasionally [read: rarely] moved, swapped and replaced p-ups, but I generally buy guitars because I like how they sound...so why mess around? But to each their own.

I'd like to check the dimarzio x2n next. I heard it's associated with steve vai. like that was the Evolution back in the day.

• Members

Coz I say, why not? from experience, two dimarzio pickups will sound good coz they both sound good as individual pickups. But I heard that some pickups really don't match. They don't really have to. like I put the steve's special together with the PAF joe and they sound great. having quality pickups is really a joy coz it really makes the guitar sound like the artists that used them on records. It's fun...

• Members

out of curiosity, are you posting this on an IBM M86? Probably not, but IBM perfected the Home PC in 1983, why would you ever want something newer? Maybe you're riding around in a Model A, as it's upgrades were perfect in comparison to the Model T. Why would anyone deter from that?

Archived