reverse polarity with dimarzio pups

mbengs1

• Members

When in the middle position of the pickup selector switch,(On a 2 pickup guitar) the sound comes out kind of thin and nasally. The guitar solo in Kansas "Carry on Wayward Son" is a perfect example.

A 4 conductor pickup can be wired in reverse polarity, but you have to really mess with the wiring to do that on a single pickup.

• Members
When in the middle position of the pickup selector switch,(On a 2 pickup guitar) the sound comes out kind of thin and nasally. The guitar solo in Kansas "Carry on Wayward Son" is a perfect example.

A 4 conductor pickup can be wired in reverse polarity, but you have to really mess with the wiring to do that on a single pickup.

The guitar I put the pickups in is a Jackson JS23. It has HSS pickup config. I was able to put the super distortion in. It came with a washer for the volume pot to increase impedance but I didn't put it on. It sounds like the old super distortion I had in the 90's but with a more open mid. it has that 'aww' sound like the paf pro. I had bought two single coil pickups too. one Duncan Custom for strat and tesla VR-1. I tried to install the single coils but encountered a problem with the mounting screws not fitting. So I had to send it to the luthier because of that problem. I got it back and the super distortion was wired backwards and sounded different from the last time I tried it. Both reverse wiring and standard wiring have their advantages. For this pickup I think reverse wiring sounds better. The super distortion is the odd ball in my pickup purchases though so having it wired in reverse is fine with me.

• Members
What is 'a washer to increase impedance"? There is no such thing as far as I know.

It's a round piece of metal you place between the guitar body and the pot. I think having that on the volume knob makes the pickup sounds bassier.

Archived