EMG 81 and 85

mbengs1

• Members

I got this in my les paul and I notice the 85 has a lot of output for a neck pickup (which is usually lower output than the bridge). I get so much output from the emg 85 on the neck that it distorts. It has more output than the 81. Is it really like this ? I only have 1 volume and tone wired. Maybe this is why I get breakup with the emg 85 on the clean channel of my amp. Why is this pickup combination very famous?

• Members

Because adjusted and balanced, this is an exceptionally versatile combination, used, not just endorsed, by many famous musicians. Active pickups generally have a pretty high sweet spot, i.e., close to the strings. adjust in slight increments, as actives are more sensitive to height adjustments than passives. from what you have posted in the past, you may actually prefer an 81 in the neck paired with an 81 in the bridge. But, the distortion issue is easily solved through a combination of lowering the pickup and adjusting the volume knob on the guitar, again, slightly. just roll it back a little, and i'm pretty certain you'll find what you're looking for.

• Members
I got this in my les paul and I notice the 85 has a lot of output for a neck pickup (which is usually lower output than the bridge). I get so much output from the emg 85 on the neck that it distorts. It has more output than the 81. Is it really like this ? I only have 1 volume and tone wired. Maybe this is why I get breakup with the emg 85 on the clean channel of my amp. Why is this pickup combination very famous?

You're running everything too hot.

You march right back to that guitar tech guy and have him drop the proper pick ups back in that guitar. If Ted McCarty wanted EMG's in his Les Paul, he would have put freakin EMG's in em.

Rewire the thing back to original specs for 2 volume controls and 2 tone controls, that's the way Ted wanted it.

If you want more crunch, that's what em little boxes are for.

For best results plug straight into a Marshall 50 watt plexi and turn the amp up. If the neighbors call the cops about your volume, then you're just about there, and obviously you neighbor have no appreciation for great tones.

Hopefully your Les Paul doesn't have a silly bulls-eye paint jobs, or even worse camo and a bulls-eye

If all else fails roll back on the volume a bit.

• Members

no, it really wouldn't, as you have an 81 in the bridge. that would mix active and passive. EMGs are easy to swap out with other EMGs. Have you tried swapping the 81 and 85? They have a pin connector that makes it super easy to try them in different positions. Just curious, have you tried lowering the pickup or rolling the volume knob down a little?

• Members

Of course he hasn't tried lowering the pickup because that would be likely to solve the problem. He's never going to follow plain old good advice. He's more likely to saw the neck off than to do a simple pickup adjustment.

• Members

^ This. If the pickup is distorting it's too close to the strings. You may need to raise the bridge pickup to achieve the right balance but that's the way to go.

No matter how low it is it seems to buzz. why is the emg 81 and 85 a popular combination they're both hot bridge pickups. Zakk wylde doesn't seem to mind but it sounds like an unorthodox pickup combination. I'm planning to replace the emg 85 with a dimarzio neck pickup like the super 2 or air Norton. :)

• Members
No matter how low it is it seems to buzz. why is the emg 81 and 85 a popular combination they're both hot bridge pickups. Zakk wylde doesn't seem to mind but it sounds like an unorthodox pickup combination. I'm planning to replace the emg 85 with a dimarzio neck pickup like the super 2 or air Norton. :)

They may also be too hot for your amp. Try backing off the volume control and see what happens.

Archived