Need Touring Rig on the Cheap

Nathan Hendrix

• Members

Hi,

I am the leader of a very popular band here in Australia and we have been asked to do a tour of the UK. I need to put together a touring rig quick. I alreay have a Line 6 wireless and pedal board but my vintage Gibson Les Paul and Marshall JTM-100 Stacks are too valuable to bring out there.

What kind of rig would you design for $2000. Oh and I need flight cases with my name on them as well.

• Members

Les Paul Studio. Roland JC120. That’s 2000$ US, right?

JC is bulletproof, got headroom, can take another cab, and will cover a lot of tones if pedals crap out or start not working right. Les Paul Studio is a fine substitute for your vintage LP, and will also look cool.

• Members
Les Paul Studio. Roland JC120. That’s 2000$ US' date=' right? . . .[/quote']

$2000 Australian is about $1550 US. Let's assume that for now, which makes for a smaller budget. A LP Studio goes for $1500 US or so new, which doesn't leave anything for an amp or flight cases. Let's also assume used gear. A cheap used Gibson LP goes for $1000AU or so on eBay Australia. If you're willing to go slumming with something like an Epiphone Dot or Sheraton you can go lower by another $300-400AU or so. Now let's assume something like a used Marshall JCM900 combo for $400-500AU. That leaves $800-1000AU for everything else, which might be doable.

• Members

2K? For a touring rig...? AND traveling some 9000 miles to do so? When I toured the east coast of the states here, I had doubles of everything. 2 Bass amps, 2 sets of pedals, and a minimum of 4 basses. 2K for a touring rig would be bar band gear. Not putting anyone or anything down, but it's just not enough cash for the proper gear.

I really don't see how you're going to get a Gibson, AND a decent tube amp AND flight cases, and get them new with that budget.

ATA rated flight cases are not cheap...

Epi Les Paul plus something like a Line 6 amp and cases for them may be found in that general price range new, but otherwise you're more realistically going to have to consider used gear... and then there's the issue of back-ups, which most pro touring musicians would consider to be a necessity as opposed to a luxury - stuff breaks on the road. It's an unavoidable fact of life. You can look into putting the amp into the tour rider and then you'd have the budget for the guitar, but then you're at the mercy of the venues you play at, and what you'll get will depend on the nature of the tour, your popularity and the expected draw and the types of venues; I've seen too many ignored concert riders (even with internationally famous bands) to feel comfortable with that...

• Members
I really don't see how you're going to get a Gibson, AND a decent tube amp AND flight cases, and get them new with that budget.

ATA rated flight cases are not cheap...

Epi Les Paul plus something like a Line 6 amp and cases for them may be found in that general price range new, but otherwise you're more realistically going to have to consider used gear... and then there's the issue of back-ups, which most pro touring musicians would consider to be a necessity as opposed to a luxury - stuff breaks on the road. It's an unavoidable fact of life. You can look into putting the amp into the tour rider and then you'd have the budget for the guitar, but then you're at the mercy of the venues you play at, and what you'll get will depend on the nature of the tour, your popularity and the expected draw and the types of venues; I've seen too many ignored concert riders (even with internationally famous bands) to feel comfortable with that...

You're right about that, especially if you have to have it custom made.

My Pedal Train effects board is in a ATA fight case and they make them to go along with the Pedal Train board. You're looking at somewhere between 2-3 hundred if you have to order one for a company new.

Ain't light either.

He might luck out and find something like this. Which doesn't sound like a Marshall.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-guitar-accessories/fender-hot-rod-deluxe-iii-rare-vintage-tweed-version-complete-with-flight-case/1240341023

• Members

hmm some think a bit too complicated.

OP said he has $2000, he normally uses a gibson lespaul and a marshal stack, now he wants to tour and need gear, cause he wants his valueable stuff to stay at home.

what would be the best he could get with his limited budget, which comes close to what he has, including cases?

it is possible to get two les pauls and two combo amps, to have backups aswell, but they are than not gibson but rather epi, tokai or esp etc

and not marshall, but rather blackstar, line6 etc and small maybe not full tube...

buying (used) in u.k. would also be possible and it would spare the cases for air travel, and sell it before you go home again. but you see what you get, only when you arrive in the u.k.

imho also one important part is, what sound and kind of music do you play? and how much of it comes out of your pedalboard and how much is your amp?

hmm some think a bit too complicated.

OP said he has $2000, he normally uses a gibson lespaul and a marshal stack, now he wants to tour and need gear, cause he wants his valueable stuff to stay at home.

what would be the best he could get with his limited budget, which comes close to what he has, including cases?

it is possible to get two les pauls and two combo amps, to have backups aswell, but they are than not gibson but rather epi, tokai or esp etc

and not marshall, but rather blackstar, line6 etc and small maybe not full tube...

Yes, but probably only if he buys used. In the USA (I'm not familiar with the current Australian or UK prices) a new Epi Les Paul is going to be ~$450-$550 (each), and and a pair of them would blow half the budget right there. Ditto that for decent amps with reasonable wattage - we don't know how many of the venues will have PA systems suitable to allow the use of smaller, lower-wattage amps, so we have to assume he's probably going to need 40-50W amps at the minimum. And he'll still need the cases - a pair of which will cost as much as another guitar or amp - double that if he takes backup guitars / amps with him.

buying (used) in u.k. would also be possible and it would spare the cases for air travel, and sell it before you go home again. but you see what you get, only when you arrive in the u.k.

Assuming they're traveling by car, train or bus in the UK, that might be feasible, but things can still get damaged when traveling using other modes of transportation besides air. Decent cases will still be important IMO, although if they aren't flying, he might not need ones that are quite as heavy-duty.

As far as buying used once he gets to the UK, unless he can do so via some local stores, he may not have the contacts or knowledge of the local scene to allow him to do so - like you said, he'll be at the mercy of whatever he can find. I personally wouldn't be comfortable waiting until the last minute like that - it's probably best to get the gear in advance if possible so he can get familiar with it and rehearse with it a bit before embarking on the tour.

imho also one important part is, what sound and kind of music do you play? and how much of it comes out of your pedalboard and how much is your amp?

An excellent question IMO! :philthumb:

• Members
Yes' date=' but probably only if he buys used. . . . we have to assume he's probably going to need 40-50W amps at the minimum. And he'll still need the cases - a pair of which will cost as much as another guitar or amp - double that if he takes backup guitars / amps with him. . . .[/quote']

Which is why I suggested used gear and gave Australian prices in the first place. A used Dot or Sheraton, for example, will run $400-700AU, according to eBay Australia Sold Listings (I discounted Epi LP's, too much variation). A used DSL40C combo will run about $650AU. If he's lucky and doesn't buy spares for either the OP can get both for $1100-1300AU, which leaves $700-900AU for cases. Tight but he might be able to do it.

• Members

If it were me? Granted I already have all this stuff, I'd probably just go with the lower end First Act guitars, Maybe 4 or 5 of them. They really tend to make a statement, as in I don't GAF what you think of my gear. And a couple of cheap 100w SS 2x12 combos. In this case the Kustom Quad 100 DFX and the Fender FM212 as a back up . Both are loud as hell and great peddle platforms. Flight cases? Na just throw the guitars and amps away when the tours over if their beat to death, No one really cares. If they expire along the way just buy another amp or guitar local in what ever city your in cheap. Your name on your flight cases? Sure why not? cheap stencil kit and a can of spray paint. Personally I'd just do it on the amps and carve my name in the back of the guitar bodies with a pocket knife. But hey I'm making a statement here!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Guys Nathan left the building. He didn't acknowledge any of the helpful info and never clarified if he plays metal' date=' rock, or tween pop. Safe to say we're wasting bandwidth. [/quote']

at least we are not wasting it with watching cat video's :)

Archived