How to install Passive EMG pickups?

KevinTJH

• Members

Just picked up a brand new EMG H4 (Passive EMG-HZ series) to install on my single-humbucker Acrylic electric guitar.

Pretty straight forward, it’s got 1 Volume knob, 1 Tone knob and 1 toggle switch (coil-split option would be cool if I could do that with it).

Everywhere I’ve looked online keeps giving me schematics and info about EMG’s “fancy” solderless wiring kit.

I’ll be upgrading all my pots as well, but I can’t justify spending an extra AUD$70 when CTS pots cost so much less. My only concern is that I have no idea what’s inside the box of a brand new EMG passive pickup so I don’t know if I’ll need to purchase additional wires or some sort.

Plus I want to add some sort of additional functionality for the random toggle switch that is already built-in the guitar.

Assuming I choose to go with CTS pots, would I just be getting 500k pots? I’m a little confused as some EMG pots are 25k.

Also, would I be getting long shaft or short shaft? Or does it not really matter that much?

Any advice would be most appreciated!

• Members

EMG's passive pickups are pretty much like every other manufacturer's pickups. To convert EMG's modular solderless system for standard soldered connection, just snip off the connector. EMG should provide a way to decode the pickup wire colors. Don't bother "upgrading" pots if the current ones work smoothly and don't crackle. There is no tone magic in "upgraded" pots of the same value. Typical pot values used in electric guitars: 500 k for humbucker guitars, 250K for single coil pickups; 25k pots are for use only with active pickups or preamps.

As far as long vs. short shaft pots, you'll have to measure what's in there now. Generally, short shaft pots mount in a thin plastic or metal pickguard or control plate, like a stratocaster or telecaster. Long shaft pots are used where the pots are mounted on a wood body, like a Les Paul.

• Members

Ok, the H4's are 4 conductor plus chassis ground. So you should be able do series/parallel with a single toggle switch, or coil tap, or, if you get a mini 3 way switch, series/single/parallel. The pickup should come with a color code so you should be able to use any diagram from below.

https://guitarelectronics.com/guitar-wiring-resources/1-pickup-guitar-wiring-diagrams/

As for pots, they are passive, so the 500K will be perfect for it.

• Members

Thanks so much for the responses, guys!

Very informative.

So in all honesty, assuming I never plan on replacing the EMG H4 once it has been installed, there is literally no benefit to purchasing their solderless wiring kit compared to just soldering it directly myself?

Archived