Peter Green mod

Axisplayer

• Members

I have been getting the parts for the Tele parts caster I wanted. I now have everything except the body. It should be here soon. Anyway, when choosing the Tele pickups I went with the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Greenies. I have been listening a lot to Gary Moore lately, and while waiting on the Tele body decided to mod my Les Paul. It has a 490R and Burstbucker Pro. I took the neck pickup out, and did minor disassembly until I could pull the magnet out and flip it. After that I reinstalled the magnet and then also flipped the pickup so the slug was near the neck. It looks different but I like the Green sound, so why not do it like he did. I put it all together and WOW! It is a different guitar. I spent an hour or so jamming to "Still Got the Blues." and it just nails that sound. It has an aggressive edge, with sort of a 2/4 Strat quack. I played for a while adjusting pups up and down looking for the perfect balance and although not done, got very close. My ears got tired and I figured I was wasting time to keep going because tomorrow it would sound different with fresh ears. Anyway, if you like Moore or Green, and you have an LP, try the mod. It doesn't require but about 10 minutes to do it, and easy to undo if you don't like it. I am keeping mine this way, at least for a while.

• Members

Yea, it I an easy mod and reversible. Worth trying if you like the sound. I found out I love it. I ordered the Greenies for the Tele actually. Neck is also reverse wound which is not the normal setup. I also got a SuperSwitch. Between the standard middle position, and the split coils (which will constitute a humbucker in this arrangement) I can have the Tele with some of the Fender quack even though using humbuckers. At least, thats the plan.

• Members

It has that quacky kind of half cocked wah sound. I recommend that if you do it, you might want to make it switchable and add the series/parallel switch. I usually find that when you run the pickups out of phase, the volume drops too much. running the pickups in series instead of in parallel brings that sound back.

http://alladim.biz/jimmy-page-wiring-diagram/jimmy-page-wiring-diagram-coil-tapping-question-ultimate-guitar/

• Members

If you can hear the "quack" (like a 5 way Strat in pos 2 or 4) sound when in the middle position, and the volume drops a bit from using either pickup alone, you probably have it. Additionally, the full mod requires that you reverse the pups so that the screws on both pups are on the bridge side (hence both slugs are on the neck side.) If you got all three, you almost certainly have the PG mod. The only absolute definitive way to tell though is to open it up. But hey, if you got the three indicators, does it really matter?

Archived