Anyone tried the TUSQ picks from Graph Tech?

Phil O'Keefe

• Members
http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/tusq-picks

They now have TUSQ thumb picks too.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/news/t...rom-graph-tech

If you've tried either of them, what did you think?

For years and years I was mostly a Fender 351 medium man. I moved up to the 351 heavy picks when I started to play mandolin in the late 80's.

I'm not a big Dunlop Tortex, even though they are loved by many. I have seen the TUSQ flat picks in the shops, but never really bothered. Last year after years of reading about Blue Chip picks I bought one. Now I don't want to take away any thunder of the TUSQ picks and the reviews you do on HC, but as a liaison between us musicians and the manufactures. HC and the manufactures should up your budget and salary so you can make a some quality videos.

The Blue Chip cost me 35 bucks plus shipping. The pick as a smooth as silk, and self lubricating. You really notice less hand fatigue when playing the mandolin. I will order another one soon, and this time get my name etched into it. Might order a few more after I re-mortgage the old homestead. :D

I ordered the TD40 after speaking with one of the reps at Blue Chip.

How is the smoothness and fatigue on the TUSQ? There does seem to be a nice crispy top end to them.

• Members
I haven't tried them, but was thinking about buying a trial assortment after hearing about them. I may have to do the same with the Blue Chip too and get one of those to try as well.

As far as the pay increase / video budget, I'll pass that along. :D

:wave:

I took some measurements with a micrometer to select the Blue Chip Pick I wanted.

• Moderators

I have TUSQ nuts and saddles on a couple of my guitars, they work pretty well. Not sure how much I would like a TUSQ pick. I usually prefer picks that are a bit on the flexier side. That being said, do you think the rigidness of TUSQ would wear out guitar strings more quickly?

• Members

I ordered a bunch of graph tech parts for my parts caster build I am doing, and they sent me one complimentary pick. I actually like it a lot. I usually use Dunlop nylons, but this grew on me. The thing will stop me from buying more I think is that I am wearing the pick out. I like to play a lot of pinch harmonics in leads and I noticed that in just a couple of weeks this pick was starting to get wear and bevels on it that the Dunlops never did. For what they cost, I can't have them wearing out that easily on me. So, although I liked it a lot, I think I can't afford to buy them as often as I would have to.

Archived