Quiet picks?

Chordite

• Members

Whilst we are in bonkers pick mode. I am a fingerstyle player, mostly thumbnail in fact. Although I am very happy with that I am trying to practise (unplugged) using a pick for when thumbnail breaks could cause trouble.

The only trouble is:

[video=youtube_share;krPQ1PMM00Y]

I think it was Brian May who said he uses a heavy pick to try and reduce it so I am not alone in finding pickclick annoying. ps Correction, it was Eric Johnson.

Is there any design of pick that doesn't click like a cricket? Fingernails can do it in complete silence.

• Members

I use Dunlop Ultex 0.73mm because they sound the most like my nails to me and I use pick and fingers alot. I also play rhythm bits where I need pick noise (eg: U2, funk) and they sound great.

There's also alot that can be done with playing technique to reduce that on an electric. Smaller and more accurate movements, more circular than up and down. I seem to almost roll just the tip of the pick over the string. Holding more of the pick also helps because it doesn't flex much.

• Members

For decades all I basic used was Fender 315's mediums, and in past years I moved to there 351 Heavy picks. I have tried many other picks too including the Dunlop Tortex were ok.

I finger pick too and use a pick, depending on what I am doing.

Some how I never could get used to the Nation steel Finger picks and thumb pick, which is kind a too bad, since they are great dobro and lap steel work.

Last year I purchased a Blue Chip pick. The damn thing was very expensive, as far as picks go. Blue Chip said if I did not like it, I could send it back and get something else. Fair enough deal.

I bought the TD 40 and it is an amazing pick, smooth as silk.

I don't often take it out to bars or clubs, and if I do, I put it in my pocket so I don't loose it.

I plan on ordering a few more down the road, after I re-mortgage the homestead. Just kidding.

They have 100's of style and thicknesses to choose from.

http://shop.bluechippick.net/

• Members

UPDATE: Okay got the felt picks. They are definitely more muted. However while tolerable for strumming the tips are far too thick and soft for single string work. They grab and snag on unbound strings making playing clumsy. So that is not the solution.

Looks like next try will be the expensive V picks.

Why is that always the way? I remember trying loads of cheap capos before ending up with a Shubb that I could have bought in the first place :)

• Members

FWIW, Tusq, Tortex, Ultex, Acetal, Blue Chip...

[video=youtube;pxhOwcNMeeU]

I use Acetal on electric; has soft attack - vital when I used to pick like a caveman. I've evoluted somewhat but I still use 'em.

And the Blue Chip Mikeo suggests...

• Moderators

I was actually looking for quieter picks a while back. For the longest time I've been using the Dunlop celluloid type in light size, which are good for fast strumming but they break very easily and are too noisy for acoustic guitar recording. For strummed or rhythm acoustic guitar, out of all the various picks I tried, I find the Jim Dunlop nylon in 0.73mm to be the best. Solid enough for picking but flexible enough for strumming. The plastic is somewhat soft, flexes easily and not really prone to breaking either.

9d402fb2400f38e184f40e8ae5091e2b.jpg.9f919ac40735e3733b5dac81cdc51604.jpg

• Members

Going through the collection the Dunlop Big Stubby 1.0mm is working quietly although it is quite stiff it is a big improvement on the frog clickers.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","height":"245","title":"product_7541.jpg","width":"245","data-attachmentid":32176474}[/ATTACH]

Archived