i found out those dunlop pick holder things change the tone of your guitar

mbengs1

• Members

Dunlop pick holder?

Highly doubt one of these stick to an electric guitar would have any affect on tone. Maybe an acoustic if you stuck it some place near the bridge but even that would be miniscule compared to a hand resting on a guitar top.

How much vibration do you think and arm, hand, an entire body absorbs when its pressed up against a guitar?

Do you really think a small piece of plastic separated by some double sided foam tape is going to make a change to the strings vibrating?

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"ZzZzZz.JPG","data-attachmentid":32170233}[/ATTACH]

The only thing I can think of is these little pick holders have a spring inside. Maybe you're hearing the spring or the housing resonate?

I wouldn't stick it to a guitar to begin with. Sticky tape isn't good for a guitar finish so you'd be better off sticking it to your amp or mic stand.

• Members

There was a big difference for sure. on my les paul custom, with that thing on, it sounded perfect with the emg 81 on the bridge. I took it out and now it sounds more 'metal' like metallica. it was more like iron maiden or kiss type of tone. more 70's. its ok as it is now but its really hard and aggressive. it works anyhow. :)

• Members
Counter act the difference with one of these. You'll thank me later.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"53723.jpg","data-attachmentid":32170281}[/ATTACH]

No, you've got it backwards. The pick holder adds mass so you need to subtract mass from somewhere else. I normally suggest lighter tuning machines. The old style three-on-a-plate or six-on-a-plate (depending the guitar) kind work well in a situation like this since there's normally less metal and therefore less mass.

Archived