Unexpected NGD!

RaVenCAD

• Members

Well, today was interesting. A good friend of mine is an amazing Flamenco guitarist and he's inspired me to give the nylon string guitar a shot. So I went to Guitar Center recently and really liked the Cordoba GK Studio. Turns out, he's got not one, but two of these lovely guitars. I tried to get him to sell me one of them, but he wouldn't do it. Today, he just gave me one of them! How cool is that? I don't have pics yet, but I will try to get some this weekend. I actually have several things to get photos of this weekend.. Anywho, just had to share my joy.

• Members

Oh and an update on my last NGD, the one for the Ibanez bass.. My daughter stole my bass and took it to her room. Now she's trying to steal this guitar from me. I've never been so happy to see my gear being used by someone else. She's also asking me to build her a pedalboard for her bass. I have no idea what kind of pedals a bass player would use.

• Members

Congratulations and Happy New (Free) Guitar Day. :thu: That's a wonderful friend. I hope you can do something equally nice for him someday or perhaps pass it forward.

It's great that your daughter is showing an interest. Bass players often use compressors so you could start there, maybe add an octave pedal. Boost and chorus are possibilities too.

• Members

You'd be better off just buying a multi effect bass pedal. You can buy something like a Zoom or Vox very cheap.

Most bass players don't use any pedals. Sometimes an amp has compression built in to make playing easier. Chorus can be cool at times. Bass fuzz is a one trick pony. Synth sounds can be fun but again, one of those things that aren't used much and pretty dated. A Multi effects for bass will have them all and if she winds up using one effect allot you can then find single pedals which will do the job well.

• Members

I'll 'second' the suggestion for a multi-FX unit for a beginner bassist. For a good but cheap bass Multi-FX unit, try the Zoom B1 on or B1onX (with expression/wah pedal). I think they're $60 and $80 'street price'. Most common effects on bass are compressor (evens the volume out), chorus, and overdrive.

Congrats on the free classical. I hope you know that classical guitars are more lightly braced than a standard steel-string acoustic, so don't put steel strings on a classical guitar.

• Members
You don't use a pick to play a flamenco guitar, just long finger nails. But I'd like to see a picture of your new guitar - congrats. Cordobas are really great classical guitars - enjoy!

Wait, I thought a flamingo guitar was pink like this. ;)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Flamingo.jpg","data-attachmentid":32169075}[/ATTACH]

Archived