Hey LP Guys...

stingxnj

Hey LP Guys...  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Hey LP Guys...

• Members

Natural grained finishes and tints are going to reveal the quality of wood and the odds are the instruments will sound better compared to solid paint which can cover up a host of poor quality woods.

I had a Got top Deluxe back in the 70's 80's and eventually removed the gold when it was beginning to look ragged out. I used it like that for several years but the wood was actually quite bad beneath the paint. I had the Gibson factory redo the gold before selling it. It cost me $100 through the music store I did repair work for and I got that back out of the sale.

I've refinished many Fenders too and most of the time the wood underneath has to be hidden from sight because the grains or blocks of wood glued together look awful.

• Members

I think a goldtop is perfect for a Paul. Yes, I do love me a black Custom, and the white custom that Bill Nelson held on the back of the Axe Victim lp was a factor in what I play. Yeah, flame is nice, but it's jewelry on a naked woman.A goldy is perfection.

• Moderators

I can't actually vote on this, as there isn't an option that I can tick.

For me, the 57 Goldtop is the Les Paul that always makes me dribble...however. I love the 68 LP Custom with the waffle back tuners and all nickel hardware, maple top, and big fat neck, as opposed to the 57 Black Beauty, all mahogany with gold hardware, however every now and again I will see a plaintop burst or a flame burst that just hits me somewhere inside...I don't like perfect symmetrical figuring, hate cloudburst regardless of figuring, have an up anbd down relationship with so called Lemon drop which was never an option anyway, they were just bursts that faded to unburst, so in my book, I love the Gold Top long time, love a nice light LPC, and the odd burst.

But....with solid colours,, I'd prefer if the solid is only on the top, so black top, seen a few, we had a mega thread about one some years ago, but some of the Fender coloured tops are coming through in the 17 and 18 year LP, but I'd love a Fiesta Red top

53317982bd1052640840e4b97d67063d.jpg

1.jpg

• Members

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I don't care for goldtops for whatever reason. Plus,my sweat destroys cheap watches so I can imagine what it would do to a goldtop. A nice flame, with or without a burst, or a cool solid color is fine by me.

• Members
I can't actually vote on this, as there isn't an option that I can tick.

For me, the 57 Goldtop is the Les Paul that always makes me dribble...however. I love the 68 LP Custom with the waffle back tuners and all nickel hardware, maple top, and big fat neck, as opposed to the 57 Black Beauty, all mahogany with gold hardware, however every now and again I will see a plaintop burst or a flame burst that just hits me somewhere inside...I don't like perfect symmetrical figuring, hate cloudburst regardless of figuring, have an up anbd down relationship with so called Lemon drop which was never an option anyway, they were just bursts that faded to unburst, so in my book, I love the Gold Top long time, love a nice light LPC, and the odd burst.

But....with solid colours,, I'd prefer if the solid is only on the top, so black top, seen a few, we had a mega thread about one some years ago, but some of the Fender coloured tops are coming through in the 17 and 18 year LP, but I'd love a Fiesta Red top

1.jpg

Whoa! I remember you from way the hell back in the mid-2000s. It's nice to see an old timer here. Christ, you were around for ponchos, ponds, and Esteban hate! :thu:

• Members

I only have 1 Les Paul, purchased in 1982.

I like the guitar, loved my cat KC, who is now gone.

Sorry about the low rez pic.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"DCP_1104a (low rez).jpg","data-attachmentid":32165000}[/ATTACH]

• Members

I voted for "Flame" but really my preference is for translucent finishes, whether or not there's much flame to them. I have a fairly good size collection of LPs, so I also have a Black Beauty RI and a black Studio BFG, one white DC, and 4 gold tops. The rest are either bursts or stains that still show the grain. Indeed, I like seeing the wood too, but some of the classic solid colors are also sexy bitches.

I love a nice flametop burst as long as it isn't a clownburst.

I'm also a huge fan of goldtops too.

Solid colors? If it's over a plain top, then that's fine - but the thought of spraying a solid color over nicely figured wood kind of seems like a waste to me. But if it's a plaintop underneath, I wouldn't mind one in Cardinal Red, Inverness Green, or Pelham Blue.

I can't actually vote on this' date=' as there isn't an option that I can tick.[/quote']

This.

IMO that would look so much better if the back was a bit darker shade - maybe a red mahogany or brown mahogany stain?

• Members
. . . IMO that would look so much better if the back was a bit darker shade - maybe a red mahogany or brown mahogany stain?

I hear you. My "good" acoustic has a burst top with black around the edges over a light mahogany back and sides. The contrast is a bit much and I sometimes wish the back and sides were rosewood, or perhaps stained darker.

Archived