Korean Floyd Rose

starx29

• Members
  • Members

The Chinese stuff MAY be of adequate quality but IMO you need at least a few hundred to blow on test purchases and do you really want to try the customer service? Then you have ethical considerations; forgery, slave labor, worst industrial pollution ever and that's before you even get into personal security.

That said, Ali Baba seems to gaining in popularity and I believe people here have tried them. WRGKMC comes to mind and if I had a grand to throw at cheap stuff I'd do it.

• Members

No NO NO NO NO No No No.

Notice it's branded Ibanez? Trust me, it isn't. And it has NEVCER even seen Korea, it's Chinese. I've used the cheap Chinese crap in guitars, and 90% of the time, it is NOT a simple swapping out the parts thing. The quality of the parts are NOT much better then what's on there originally. Most of the time, these are OEM parts, the ones that come with the guitar in the first place. So they are not an upgrade.

So let's play the game here, and get you the PROPER bridge.

One: What kind of guitar do you have?

Two: Is it designed for a Floyd?

Three: Are you able to do the wood working, the drilling, the set up, to install a Floyd?

Four: Do you have the money to pay for someone to install a Floyd?

Five: Do you REALLY need the Floyd on that guitar?

Six: Why not just BUY a guitar with a Floyd already installed?

• Members

Starx29, there are two parts of the answer to your question. First, there is a large business in counterfit guitars and parts, Aliexpress is one of the biggest importers and dealer of this stuff. The stuff they sell violates international patent and trademark laws. Your first decision is whether you want to support this with your business.

The second answer is that this stuff is almost alway junk. Read carefully what the others have said.

Lastly, read what BadP says about installing a Floyd. It is not trivial - unless the guitar was designed and routed for one from the factory you (or your tech) will need to route and mount both the trem and the locking nut, and do a fairly involved setup. If you are not set up to do that plan on paying your tech for several hours of work (I charge $50 and hour and I'm considered cheap).

• Members

I ordered two Floyd Rose copies from Dragon Fire guitars back in 2008 and 2009 and they were às good as any of my 1980's Floyd Roses.

Last year , I order another one from them and the saddles were cheap pot metal and three saddles cracked when I was ready to give it a play.

I guess not all Floyd's are created equal :(

• Members

I've built kit guitars before, one of my favs is a mahogany non reverse firebird copy. BUT I modded the hell out of it as I was building it. I personally would avoid basswood, since it tends to be a very soft wood. Unless you seal it in an epoxy coating, if you look at it hard, you will ding it.

Also, the quality of parts is less then stellar. these are the cheapest parts they can get. Face it, when you buy cheap, you get what you pay for. You will end up replacing all the pickups, pots, and hardware, to get anything decent.

Seriously,. your best bet is to buy used. A decent Ibanez with a Floyd trem, can be had for the 300 AU mark.

I Don't know if they ship Down Under, but check this company out. Good quality and affordable prices.

http://www.rondomusic.com/scope727tr.html

• Members
What about these DIY guitar kits?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pit-Bull-Guitars-STF-1-Electric-Guitar-Kit/172710620618?hash=item28365aedca:g:mrAAAOSwcB5ZMjFp

i am good with wood working as well if that helps. One of the songs i have learnt uses a floyd rose in the song.

Lets put this is perspective. Converting that to US dollars (most of us can relate to that better), the entire kit with a "licensed Floyd Rose bridge" (but without pickups, electronics and a few bits and pieces) is $146. My US supplier of real Floyd Rose bridges charges between $95 and $200 US - so for the price of my Floyd you get a whole guitar thrown in. What does that tell you about the guitar?

• Members

I just got a spanner wrench in the mail. $5 bucks. Had all but forgotten about it. Came from China of all places.

Shiny stamped and decoratively embossed metal. Double sided - (on/off?) The angles are on the acute side for a hex nut but it is perfectly capable of torquing guitar pots. Of course 5 bucks is now a rip but I have the Amazon guarantee of quality and good customer service.

:p

• Members

Not quite sure what this has to do with knock off tremolos but long ago I learned the joy of owning good tools. I have a box full of cheapies up in the attic somewhere, the ones in my tool box were expensive when I bought them but have paid for themselves over and over.

That is particularly true of lutherie tools - each time I build a guitar I think of the tool that would have made the last one easier or better, and add it to my tool box. Then I'm ready for the next one and the next one and the....

• 1 year later...
  • Members

hi, I also see a Floyd rose special being sold in Aliexpress. Are they real or fake?

this is an example of them :https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32888291367.html?pid=808_0000_0105&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32888291367&aff_trace_key=ec6ac3ed129b43a696b4e0889e34a37d-1551366467977-09506-bQpV7f3S&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=7431amp-yYt-lWQW17tQeN_tqbojKA1551451453671

• Moderators
hi, I also see a Floyd rose special being sold in Aliexpress. Are they real or fake?

this is an example of them :https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32888291367.html?pid=808_0000_0105&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32888291367&aff_trace_key=ec6ac3ed129b43a696b4e0889e34a37d-1551366467977-09506-bQpV7f3S&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=7431amp-yYt-lWQW17tQeN_tqbojKA1551451453671

Look at the picture of the unit you linked to and look at the one I linked to...notice a number of differences? The Chinese are masters of the cheap knock off, and have no regard for USA Patents. They don't do a good job of finishing, so bad edges are evident on the cast [not machined] parts. Like Gipson guitars, the name goes on before the quality goes out...

This is a 'real' Floyd: https://express.google.com/u/0/product/7336439012417714334_9735431710518386242_12145?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt&gtim=CNPJqtnUwJfriAEQ_aqMkqWAvIh8GMCM7CciA1VTRCiQiZzkBTDxXg&utm_campaign=12145&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzePjBRCRARIsAGkrSm4TArrd8G3c4X1kAQjx-nu8HZIJGNQnJXeg_MReBfb7IKb-g5lhxWMaAoJBEALw_wcB

• Members
so, where can we buy Floyd rose besides from floydrose.com directly? The shipping from the US to my country, Indonesia is so so expensive.

They listed a dealer for my country but I tried to contact the dealer but no avail.

You can always try eBay, you can always try contacting Ibanez again. BUT those things you see on Alibaba, or Aliexpress, are cheap knockoffs. Their specs will NOT match the original. Spend the money on QUALITY.

• Members

yup, Ibanez make their premium line here. However, they don't sell their parts here. The sole distributor of Ibanez here even recommend buying Gotoh if we want to upgrade the zero-edge bridge. But the size is a bit different than OFR or any other OFR licensed, as what I heard here. And I am actually looking for one to replace my old licensed OFR, not Ibanez ( I believe they have different dimensions).

Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

Btw, I just took a look on Ebay and there are also FR coming out from China. Should I just ignore them too? This counterfeit stuff really makes me sick:(

Archived