So my '79 Strat has a '73 neck apparently

Grant Harding

Personally, I think it ups the value. Gilmore's strat with the 73 neck comes to mind.

That's because it's Gilmour's - Clapton's partcaster Blackie is worth more than a lot of mid-50s Strats simply because it was owned by someone famous.

I don't think it will increase the guitar's value because it's earlier than the rest of the guitar. A collector would prefer all-original parts, from the same year. For a player, it probably wouldn't make a lot of difference either way.

• Members

Did you find a date stamp on the neck?

Just did a quick search and saw the 76 headstock which looks identical

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"XX01.JPG","data-attachmentid":32163577}[/ATTACH]

Fenders with Patent Pending decals have the date on the heel of the neck and need to be removed to be dated.

Some tine in 76 they started putting the serial number instead of the patent pending number on the decal. I wouldn't be surprised if they used up the 75 necks first and the new necks has the serial numbers.

• Members

It's not in original condition, so it's not a collectors piece, definitely a player. It does have all of the original parts, but they didn't have a second string tree so that was added.

There's a 4 digit number stamped on the butt end of the neck that confirms the year, plus the original tuners have the shaft end visible rather than fully sealed. Plus the neck is stamped J TORRES, which is another clue.

The weirdest thing is that I bought this from some guy in the suburbs in Canada in 1989 and it looked stock and very lightly used. I suspect the original owner put his old favourite neck on his new 1979 Strat because he had smaller hands. The neck is really narrow compared to most.

• Members

very nice guitar.

as of value, even if its all original it would not be an collectible, as there are to many '70 strats out there and also a lot of them are lemons.

i think for a longer time that '70 strats are overprized on ebay and co, i would not pay more than $1500 for a perfect '74 strat and only because i'm a '74 and it would be a matching age.

asking above $2000 and way much more is rediculous IMHO

• Members

Those late '70s strats are actually premium guitars although they are a little "different." The 25th anniverary year was 1979 and the strats produced then had shallow tummy and arm cuts, uneven pickguard overlay on the lower bout, painted sheilding in the control and pickup cavities, fully shielded pickguard and a hotter bridge pickup. They are also very heavy and they sound great.

Because the body cuts are different, the guitars did not have the 'Original Contour Body' sticker on the headstock.

Archived