What is a good neck pickup to match an emg 81 on the bridge?

mbengs1

• Members

I like instrumental music but I like real music too. I currently got the emg 85 on the neck. it doesn't match the 81 on my les paul. it sounds too fat and has too much bass. I was thinking of putting a dimarzio pickup in there like the air classic for the instrumental style of rock playing. what other pickups would you suggest?

• Members

the 85, modded 18volt in the neck, is a very versatile pickup. still a bit heavy on the low end though. the trick is to use one channel for the 85 and one for the 81, or use an EQ pedal with one or the other. with my 6505, i tend to back off the gain on the rhythm channel for the 85, and compromise the eq settings between the two, and back off of the resonance some

• Members
the 85 does have a lot of bass. try an 81 in the neck.

I agree. I personally like the 85, but I'm more of a bluesy classic rock guy. It's the only EMG p'up I've taken a shine to so far. But if you want a more cutting HiFi tone, indeed, go with an 81 in the neck too. I own an original ESP "The Eclipse" made in Japan, and it came stock with dual 81s. Personally, I'd rather have dual 85s, but once again, I'm more of a classic rock fan than a hard rock/metal fan.

Also just try lowering the p'up a bit to see what happens. Weakening the signal a bit, might help tame the bass.

Archived