Frank Zappa

gardo

• Members

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"6f435ebc52fb5e0bc9f13016d976a2a3a6fbc448.jpg","data-attachmentid":32152203}[/ATTACH]

I was never a huge fan, but Frank was sure an iconic image of the late '60s, very much a cultural icon. I was 12 in '69 and that image was in many of the "cool shops" of the day, and although I never found that image to be pleasant, it was certainly one that was likely to make an impact, pushing the envelope of "taste".

I once "worked" one of his concerts at the Convention Center in Spokane WA in the late 70s. Since I was a "crowd control" employee, I wasn't as focused to his music as I would now wish I was, but I realized that his music was a bit to unconventional for the majority of the crowd. It was the only concert (besides Elvis) where the performer did not do an encore. I just felt he thought he was mostly playing to musical peasants and wanted to split that scene.

My interest in his music has remained largely with his more "accessible" tunes. Love "The Deadly Yellow Snow", and "Joe's Garage" should be up there with "American Pie".

[video=youtube;_gg_vS1UzOs]

[video=youtube;ZlIe5mBqIB4]

I also love this story about Steve Vai's first audition for Frank Zappa.

[video=youtube;Xx1RguHA4XE]

• Members

Frank Zappa is always someone I feel like I should be more into than I am. Where's a good starting point? An album or live performance?

One of my favourite comedians (Adam Buxton) talks about Zappa a lot and I feel like I should know what he's talking about...

• Members
Frank Zappa is always someone I feel like I should be more into than I am. Where's a good starting point? An album or live performance?

One of my favourite comedians (Adam Buxton) talks about Zappa a lot and I feel like I should know what he's talking about...

Frank left this world in 1993 so there are no live performances. I liked the album " Bongo Fury " back in the day,but I'm no expert on the subject

[video=youtube_share;rVZDBJ6tat0]

Archived