Date My LP custom Cherry Burst

jtr654

• Members

Gibson serial numbers from that time period are a bad joke. The date can range from 70-75. The ways to pinpoint the date though requires a little more work. Does it have "Made in USA" stamped in the headstock under the serial number? IF the pots are original, what is the number on them. They often tell you what year the pots are made, and generally, 8 to 10 weeks later, the guitar was out to the public. Pickups, what type are they? A little more info, and we can nail this!

Here's an example: My SG has 72 serial number, pots that date to June of 72, a volute that says 72, pickups that was released late 72, and a bevel cut on the lower horn that says 73. So what is it? I say, 72 transition model, the "experts" say 73. Who knows?

• Members
I 've had this guitar for over 20 years and just looked at the Ser.#102240. Pancake body small volute Made in USA stamp. I believe it a 1970/71.

You need to look at the pots.

The serial numbers were pretty scattered around that time.

But it is from 1970- 71 and possibly even 1972.

Starting in 1970, Gibson began stamping “Made in USA” on the back of the headstock. Lower Right: The fourth and fifth numbers of this seven-digit potentiometer date code reveal the last two digits of its year of manufacture.

Remember potentiometers were bought in bulk and could sit on a shelf for days or even months.

My Les Paul was purchased in the early 80's ser # 81522593. I ordered my new.

Made in 1982 on the 152 day of the year ( June 1st ) the 593 guitar stamped that day.

Good luck, but try the pot codes and see what they say.

• Members

as the ones said above. if it would have an inlay at 20th fret saying 20th anniversary it would be a 1974,,, thats how gibson support told me that mine from serial number wise could be a '74 or '75, is a '75, which is pernsonally is a bummer as i am a '74 and the guitar is just not the same year :)

pics of yours would be nice to see :)

• Members

The serial number is what gives you the date.

For example 1977-Current

Starting in 1977, Gibson adopted the current date-based serial system which codes for the year and day of production. The first number of the sequence indicates the decade of production, followed by the three digit day of the year, and finally the year. For example, the serial number 90237XXX corresponds to a production date of 1/23/97. The last three (or four as of 2005) digits signify the location of production and batch number, respectively, but this information isn’t necessary to accurately dating your instrument.

The serial number is also lacquered over. If the serial numbers were punched through the lacquer its a counterfeit.

• Members

Uhhh... didn't you read the OP? He's got an early 70's one, with the semi randomized serial number. The info you quoted works if the guitar is 77 or newer. His number falls into the 70-75 range, so you use pot codes, and features to narrow it down. The T tops were in use from 67 to about 75. Not a lot of help there, but every little bit helps.

Archived