I inherited a few guitars and don't have room for them. Looking for info on prices, value, anything really.

scurvydog

• Members

Hello all. I'm new to this forum but it seems to have quite a bit of knowledgeable folks from what I've read so far.

Here's my situation. I inherited several guitars and am trying to find out if there is any history behind them, pricing, etc.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but one is electric, one is a 12 string acoustic, and one is a bass so rather than posting three times I figured one would be better.

The first is a Hohner Professional SE 35. I know it's a 335 copy but I've seen them selling used, online for anywhere from $275 up to $439 at a local music store in a different state.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...95048418296673

Second is a Pan 12 string. Model# H600-12. What I think is the SN 3100137. There is what appears to be a backward 'C' before it. I say 'appears to be' because the SN and MN are both hand written in pen. This makes me think it might be rare? I'd never heard of Pan before and can't find much info other than it may also be a spin off of Aria Guitars.

Also, on the head stock it has ED WATSON apparently burned into in all caps.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...40780966652182

Third is a black EXB-1 Hurricane Bass Guitar by Moridira. This was purchased used back in the early 90's for about $50 yet I find it online in the $200-$300 range.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...78032216972307

They all play very nicely, are in great condition, and the Hohner and Pan have hardshell and softshell cases respectively.

I've always thought these were all second or third string brands but, after some research, I'm really confused.

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts or info to share? I'd really appreciate it.

• Members

The only one I'll comment on is the 12 string. The label says "made in Korea" - that means it is either an Olympic contender or a ballistic missile. Actually a non brand name 12 string might be worth a few dollars at a yard sale IF the geometry is perfect, the action is just right, the frets are clean and polished, bridge is tight and there is no structural issues. If any of those things are bad it really isn't worth anything unless your name is ED WATSON

• Members

The Hohner, your typical 335 copy, most likely Korean, and most likely made by Samick. They have their followers, but rarely fetch more then 400.

The Pan.... oh my the Pan.... IF it were one of the original runs, made in Japan by Matsumoku, would be worth the 400 range. Alas, it's Korean, and the headstock has been stripped and refinished.... maybe, kinda.. along with someone's name added to the "finish" I think 75 is generous.

The Hurricane. Those I don't have any experience with, but the general rule is: if it's a Bob "BY" Sam, it's the lowest end model the company made. Yeah, they may be asking 300, but I wonder what the actual selling price was. I would be shocked if they sold for more then the 150 range.

• Members
The Hohner, your typical 335 copy, most likely Korean, and most likely made by Samick. They have their followers, but rarely fetch more then 400.

The Pan.... oh my the Pan.... IF it were one of the original runs, made in Japan by Matsumoku, would be worth the 400 range. Alas, it's Korean, and the headstock has been stripped and refinished.... maybe, kinda.. along with someone's name added to the "finish" I think 75 is generous.

The Hurricane. Those I don't have any experience with, but the general rule is: if it's a Bob "BY" Sam, it's the lowest end model the company made. Yeah, they may be asking 300, but I wonder what the actual selling price was. I would be shocked if they sold for more then the 150 range.

What's a Bob "BY" Sam and what about the SN and MN hand written in pen on the Pan? That seems odd to me. Also being #000137? Maybe I'm just hoping I hit the jackpot and Ed Watson is this super famous guy that played with Robert Johnson lol

Also, how can I tell where the Hohner was made? Would it be on the guitar somewhere?

• Members

I do allot of buying and selling on EBay and spot these kinds of instruments all the time.

I have to be realistic and say your valuation is OK but actually getting someone to bid on them would be really tough.

I suggest you find pricings on what they may have "sold" for not what they were listed for then list them for 1/3 to 1/2 less and simply keep your fingers crossed that anyone would even bid on them. You may do better selling locally of course but January after Christmas isn't your best time of year for selling. Its when you want to buy gear at low cost as people sell off their used stuff after making holiday purchases.

Your best bet might be selling the Hohner. Its got some name recognition and you might get it sold in the $250 range. Not that the instrument isn't any good, but the market is flooded with 335 clones. EPI dots sold for $350 new and you can find tons of used ones for much less. Hohner used to be a common name but practically unknown to many younger guitarists. Its actual value based on quality may be higher but again, I'm simply being realistic on you actually getting a buyer whose looking for one.

The Pan - was an extremely low budget beginners instrument back in the day. 12 strings tend to have major warping issues and if it does that one wouldn't be worth restoring. The only saving grace is that model did use a tail piece so the top would warp down instead of being pulled up and its got an adjustable bridge height to compensate. The lifespan of the bridge and top should have been extended with that kind of setup, but for tone its skid row. If its playable its would make a good beater but value? You can hope.

Selling the bass will also be tough. The going price for that bass is under $125 tops. There were some really old listings for them selling for more but its not like that bass is going up in value. The used bass market is super slow too. I think if anyone gets close to offering $100 you'd want to take the money and run.

• Members

The "Hurricane by Moridira". Whenever you see that, the "By", it's the lowest model they make. "Squier BY Fender, Epiphone BY Gibson" Doesn't mean they were made by the parent comp[any, just that the parent company OWNS the name, and generally farmed out the building of the instrument.

The serial and model number, written in ink, means nothing on the Pan. It's still a bottom feeder, with a hand written label.

As to where the label may be on the Hohner..... if it's NOT seen thru the F holes, you're probably beat. It should have had a little label on the headstock, stating where it was made, or one in the F hole. It MAY be under the neck pickup, in the cavilty, but don't get your hopes up. But logically.... it's early 90's, so best bet is Korea, with a small chance China, but I bet Korea. Check the pots. If it was made by Cort, which I doubt, it would have the words "Cortech" on the pots. I don't remember off hand where Samick got their pots from.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

If you want top dollar, then you can ask anything you want. If you actually want to sell locally on Craigslist....realistically the Hohner should be priced around $300 in my area...and you'd have a shot at actually selling it. You might get more on EBay or Reverb, but you will have fees to pay and have to deal with shipping, and then possibly scammer buyers or whatever. Good luck.

Archived