how do u use an effects loop switcher?

mbengs1

• Members

Is this the pedal you mean?

https://www.lazada.com.ph/mini-guita...-11561775.html

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tmini-guitar-effect-pedal-loop-box-switcher-channel-selection-true-bypass-zinc-aluminium-alloy-body-intl-1487873164-57716511-e95791e0cf8a95a83884395c2a197a5b-zoom.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t80.0 KB ID:\t32142568","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32142568","data-size":"full","title":"mini-guitar-effect-pedal-loop-box-switcher-channel-selection-true-bypass-zinc-aluminium-alloy-body-intl-1487873164-57716511-e95791e0cf8a95a83884395c2a197a5b-zoom.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

That's a true bypass looper. It is designed to allow you to place a pedal (or multiple pedals) into its bypass loop, so you can switch the pedal(s) on/off. You switch the pedal (or whatever combination of pedals that you want) on, using the switches on the pedal(s) themselves, and then use the footswitch on the looper pedal to turn all of them on / off all at once.

The way this pedal is usually wired up is to connect your guitar to the pedal's In jack. Connect another cable from the pedal's Out jack to your amp's input.

Connect a cable from the Looper pedal's Send jack to the input of your effect pedal. Plug the output of that effect into the next (optional) effect, etc. etc. Take the final effect pedal's output and connect it with a cable to the Looper pedal's Return jack.

I'm not really sure this is the pedal you are looking for though...

First of all, what "effects switcher" are you using?

• Members

First of all, what "effects switcher" are you using?

I plan on getting one control non programmable. it's got 5 loops and i'd like to put the gain pedals and noise supressor in one of them. but i'd like to use amp gain so the noise supressor has to be in the amps effects loop at the same time. so i have the choice of using distortion+overdrive or my amps lead channel+overdrive pedal with the effects loop working in both situations. is there a way for this?

• Members

Without knowing what pedals, amp, etc you plan on running, my only suggestion at this point is to gate the front of the amp, and overdrive/distort in the same manner. Amp Effects loops are typically better suited for time based effects, modulating effects, etc. Overdrive and distortion, fuzz, etc needs to be introduced through the front, if you're using any typical guitar amp.

if you're looking for multiple ways of using and connecting pedals, check out the Boss ES5.

My pedal chain at the moment, Just for reference, is guitar-noise gate-Whammy-Crybaby-amp, with a Sonic Stomp in the effects loop.

edit: you can introduce any effect pedal in an amp's effects loop. Why you would want to is another thing. Maybe if you're preamp muds up with distortion, even on the clean channel when introduced up front? A 2nd gate would probably be helpful in this scenario.

• Members

I plan on getting one control non programmable. it's got 5 loops and i'd like to put the gain pedals and noise supressor in one of them. but i'd like to use amp gain so the noise supressor has to be in the amps effects loop at the same time. so i have the choice of using distortion+overdrive or my amps lead channel+overdrive pedal with the effects loop working in both situations. is there a way for this?

Why do you need the suppressor in two places? Regardless, the easiest way is to use two of those.

• Members

You cant use the noise suppressor in two different places. You either need to use it before the amp or in the amps effect loop. A loop pedal isn't going to allow you to connect the pedal in two places at the same. Choose one or the other.

• Members

He may simply need an additional noise gate. I've never run distortion through the loop, but I don't see why you technically couldn't. Use one gate up front and the other in the loop. An effects loop mix control would also be handy, I would imagine. I currently don't have an amp with effects loop mix control, or I'd try it.

MBengs - are you experiencing lots of noise? Pickups are the most common cause - gating first, prior to any pedal, should solve this. And any gate with two loops allows one to gate the pickups, and one to gate the chain (ISP G-String)

• Members

I do get a lot of noise since I use a distortion with the gain set at about 2 o clock and an overdrive with its gain at about 10 o clock. the noise suppressor takes out maybe 90 percent of the noise. I still hear some noise but it's very practically unnoticeable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Most (but not all) audio loopers enable you to place some of the pedals in front of your amp, and some in the effects loop. A rare few, like the BOSS ES-8. for example, or the Switchblade from Sound Sculpture, let you program on the fly whether or not certain loops are in front of the amp or in the effects loop, so you could have your compressor pedal sometimes in front of the amp, and on other patches/presets, have it in the effects loop for example. But most loopers are just all in front of the amp, or all in the effects loop.

Here are some reviews of popular audio loopers, which should help explain to you how they are utilized:

http://musicplayers.com/2016/08/09/boss-es-8-effects-switching-system/

http://musicplayers.com/2015/08/15/rjm-music-technology-mastermind-pbc-audio-loop-switcher/

http://musicplayers.com/2011/09/11/rocktron-patchmate-loop-8-floor/

I explain a lot about audio loopers/function switchers in my book, Modern Guitar Rigs: The Tone Fanatic's Guide to Integrating Amps & Effects. I have a whole chapter about these products -- how to use, and a brief review of many of the products on the market.

Hope this helps a bit!

Scott

Archived