Cure for GAS

DeepEnd

• Members

In the last week or so I discovered a Dean Stylist hollowbody at a local (St. Louis) GC and started thinking about it. I read reviews and they were positive, especially considering the original price of the guitar. For $250+tax I figured it might be worth a look. Friday I made the drive to GC and actually had the guitar in my hands. Revelation time. One of the first things I noticed was a big hole the side near the neck block where a strap button had been. On closer examination it needed a setup badly. The high E buzzed to the point the guitar was unplayable. I raised the bridge on that side until the buzzing subsided but by then I'd seen enough. Add badly tarnished hardware and a need for more TLC than I was willing to invest, and my GAS was gone. If only it were always that easy. ;)

• Members

I'm curious why GC wouldn't do a setup on a used guitar they are trying to sell. Oh, that's right, it is GC. Its one thing to sell a guitar on consignment "as is", if this was a trade in they should do whatever is required before selling.

I had an interesting call from a pawn shop that sells a lot of used stuff - they asked me to look at a couple of guitars that needed repairs. I told them I could do the work and what it would cost them. They said "no, we don't want to put any money into it but if we sell it we'll give the new owner your name".

• Members
Sounds like it may not have been well cared for. Good of you to walk.

My thoughts exactly. I understand a ding here and there, and I expect to spring for strings and do a setup but the badly tarnished hardware indicates the guitar has been in an environment that wasn't good for it.

• Members
Yeah.....I wouldn't give $300 for Willie's guitar. :D

And this isn't Trigger, is it? It's not an expensive or vintage guitar. It's a cheap Chinese guitar made in the last 20 years and it's been "rode hard and put away wet." Maybe that's the secret, they need to add a couple of zeroes to the price. :rolleyes2:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived