The continuing Barncaster saga

Freeman Keller

• Members

By now many of you have seen the original barncaster thread or maybe the followup on Barncasters No 2 and 3

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-41/31484924-barncaster

If not, here is a quick summary. A couple of years ago I built a telecaster style guitar out of some reclaimed 100 year old pine from a historic old barn. The guitar was auctioned and proceeds given to a conservation group. I had enough barn wood for three more guitars, two of them got built up last year and went to new owners

IMG_3565_zpstxibnqle.jpg

I had posted a few pictures and forumite Koiwoi expressed an interest in one. That was over a year ago - we chatted back and forth by PM but life sort of got in the way and the fourth body got put under the workbench. This fall while thinking about possible Christmas gifts for my wife I decided it was time to take a trip that I have always wanted to do - go to New Zealand and explore the South Island. It just so happens that Koiwoi, who is now known as Grant Harding, lives in New Zealand. So I revived the personal message train and asked him if he was still interested. I got an enthusiastic reply, so I dusted off the body and started applying coat after coat after coat of Tru-Oil finish.

IMG_3986_zpsmcwbrtgd.jpg

Grant is specifying all the parts, I'll screw them together, set it up, take it apart and wrap it up in my luggage and off we go to the Southern Hemisphere. Our trip is scheduled for the first two weeks of March, the plan is to spend the first night in Aukland, meed Grant and deliver the guitar, then Mrs Keller and I will spend 11 days hiking and kayaking the South Island.

I'll try to update this as the guitar goes together and the trip gets closer.

• Members

I thought I had seen nice views of NZ before, but OMG, that is simply stunning. I have never seen a more beautiful place. BTW, a friend of mine works for a company that just gave him a 3 year transfer to NZ and he leaves this weekend. Now I TRULY envy him. :-)

• Members

Parts have started arriving and I put the neck on today. It is a very lovely piece of rosewood crafted by the nice folks at Warmouth. The pickups and electronics are still on the way - I set a Gotoh bridge on to see how it looked with both chrome hardware and a black pickguard (that is not the p/g I would use, it doesn't fit right but I had it handy for the picture).

While this is going on I've been making all sorts of airline and hotel reservations for the big trip

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4011-2.jpg","data-attachmentid":32143412}[/ATTACH]

• Members

The Fralin guts:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tScreenshot_2018-01-18-15-30-53.png Views:\t1 Size:\t494.4 KB ID:\t32144173","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32144173","data-size":"custom","height":"281","title":"Screenshot_2018-01-18-15-30-53.png","width":"500"}[/ATTACH]

Archived